Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ultimate alloytec failure...

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
BEST THREAD EVER! LOL

Now go buy a V8 haha

Seriously though, the alloytech motor is already a fairly high strung piece of machinery to meet the modern day emissions standards and expectations of customers while retain fuel economy. In short, the potential just isn't there to make massive power gains (without boost). The good old pushrod dinosaur V8 however being as low tech as they come pretty much has much more potential and cubic capacity on it's side when it comes to performance development.

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
To the OP.
I still don't quite understand why you're so disappointed with the small gains you've made. In my opinion, there's not too much on your list of mods that are actually going to result in a higher power output or send you down the 1/4 much faster so this outcome should have been expected...
In short, if this was your intent, I think you could have made a few better decisions on what parts you turned the dollars into to gain your desired result.
Cheers

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
It seems i didnt explain some things quite enough.
My apologies.

The clutch was replaced because after the initial tune and cai it slowly started to slip (stupid holden clutch), and i hated the dual-mass setup.

The coils, injectors and oxygen sensors were replaced because they were all 200,000 kays old... and i figured new ones would HAVE to make even a small difference.... The spark plugs were only 40,000 old, but it would be stupid not to replace them with everything else coming off.

Aside from the "not guaranteed extra power" mods, at least the cpr6, underdrive pulley, cai, catback AND vcm tune would have to net to at least a small gain? That's all i'm saying here people.

I've asked plenty about putting extractors on, but I never bothered because everybody I asked said for an extra 3-4kw it's not worth the $1000+ for extractros and hi-flows. And seriously, would it make my position any better? It's still not gonig to make up for the lack of gain so far.

The only point im making (as I have now painfully learned). Is that there's very little gain to be had out of these motors without a huge outlay. And I would assume that most people on this forum would agree, so if you find yourself in the position I was when i bought one..... SAVE UP AND TRADE IT FOR A V8...

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
The underdrive by itself should have netted around 7rwkw, CPR6 is advertised as 15rwkw, CAI probably 2-3rw but the tune should have done the most. Expect to 15-20rw if done correctly. To only have 120rwkw after all that... sounds like the tuning is wrong. Could have been a bad batch of fuel also? Few other guys on here with VZ's have 150rw on there cars. Something definetly sounds wrong. Being 200,000km old engine probably doesn't help though?

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
This 1 mods will give you some gains down the quarter mile.
Take the spare tyre out.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
I don't understand the reason for spending bulk cash (10k?) to make a V6 faster.

Here is an alternative:

1. Sell your sv6 for 11k.
2. Use the sale price + 10k in mods to buy a VY/VZ SS. Hell, you might even snag a HSV for this price.
3. Enjoy.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
It doesn't matter if you are a P plater or not.

The best approach is to drive a stock v6 for a few years... Save money instead of spending it on the car... Purchase something enjoyable when you are off P Plates...

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
1. kids a p-plater
2. kids a p-plater
3. 5.5k gets you a raptor... wait, kids a p-plater.

why no body reads or researches anymore is beyond me.

and the alltec can push out some good numbers if you do some research. < key word.

Its very easy to forget that the P plater laws are different in the rest of Australia. As I have said before you can drive anything you want on your L and P plates. If you have the cash you could be practicing to drive on your L plates in a V12 with twin superchargers, with a full exhaust, and every mod you can dream of.