Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Calais Transmission Noise

JJSCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Hi Guys

New to the forum. Looking for some advise on a noise near my transmission.
2008 VE Calais/60,000km/No Error Displays. Noise occurs after startup when in drive for 3-4 seconds - rattle "sounds like a loose universal joint", then goes away. The noise only occurs when I first drive away.
Holden dealer said that it may be the Torque Converter.
Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

JJSCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
If the noise only occurs when I first drive away, could it be the torque converter?
Is there anyone out there that can suggest some ideas of what this sound may be?

calvv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE Calais V v8
Hey mate welcome to the forums. Can you describe the noise any better?

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
Depending on the noise &/or if you've had your exhaust touched lately, I had a problem that near matches your description.

Noise was a rattle & only occurred when cold & generally lasted a total of 20 seconds. At start up for approx 5 seconds, then when put into drive or reverse for up to 15 seconds total.

Took it back to the dealer & it turned out a bolt on the cat I believe (Noise / rattle appeared to come from under the cabin in my ute) that over tightened. This more then likely happened when the exhaust was replace after being hit. Anyway, since they relieved the tension, all has been good - Has been approx 4 weeks now.

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
If it is Transmission related, it could be that it is underfilled. I had an issue with my transmission when I serviced it myself. It was making a Rattely / Buzzy noise like a dry bearing and only when cold on take off for the first minute. I then found out that it needed an extra 1/2 Litre of fluid. After adding more fluid, the noise went away and has never come back.

JJSCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais
Thankyou calvv8, swingn_wasabi and oztech007 for replying.

The noise is difficult to explain. I tried recording it with my mobile but it doesn't pick it up.
Additional information I can give you is that the noise is louder when cold starting. If I restart when warm, after resting, the noise is reduced and if I restart when warm, straight away, the noise does not occur.
The noise does not occur when reversing. Only when in drive, when I first drive away.

V SPEC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
i think i have the same fault. you explain the same symptoms as my car experiences. just after i pull out of my driveway it almost sounds like i run over a length of metal bar.
id also like to know what causes it. im due for a service soon, so ill ask the guys to check my fluid levels.