Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Commodore Airconditioning Not Working

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
I thought this might be valuable for advice for anyone who has a VE Commodore SS V8 or SSV V8 that has a sudden airconditioner or cooling fail when seemingly everything else is working.
Instead of going through all the fuse boxes (there are three) one in the passenger footwell, one in the RHS engine compartment and one in the boot above the battery, and ultimately booking into an airconditioning repairer or a Holden dealer, have a look at this first.
The SS V8 Commodores are known to throw the airconditioner belt off rendering the compressor useless though still driveable. This is the second short belt on the drivers side of the engine tucked down below. It runs around the compressor, a tension pulley and then the harmonic balancer.
There is a GMH fix for this I believe which involves installation of another pulley to keep the belt on track. The problem occurs as the harmonic balancer starts to get a wobble on the rubber base it's mounted on eventually throwing the airconditioner belt off.
I am yet to determine if this is a recall fix for free issue. It damn well should be if Holden knows about this and has a fix for it......
Laws nowadays cover design defect so even products out of warranty should be covered under new Federal Laws covering design life warranties, i.e if you made it and know it's crap and the user has an expectation of so many years of life, you should fix it. Free.
I knew about this throwing belt issue a year ago but when the cooling failed on mine recently it was one of the last things to cross my mind as it simply wasn't visible. I had the standard "we don't know" at local Holden service, book it in, pay a diagnosis fee, have you had the car regassed? It should be regassed every few years yada yada.
A...car....does...not ...need....to....be...regassed....if....it...hasn't....leaked....out. If it has leaked out the leak needs to be FIXED then REGASSED otherwise regassing is a pointless exercise.
Anyway, I found the belt jammed and off the aircon pulley and also jammed behind the harmonic balancer, so before you spend the money....have a look for this seemingly COMMON problem on VE Commodre V8s.
Cheers.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
It's not a recall issue.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
so before you spend the money....have a look for this seemingly COMMON problem on VE Commodre V8s.
Cheers.

It was a pretty common problem, but only on the early ones.

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Mine is My09.........

The fix is a kit available through Holden comprising new harmonic balancer, bracket and pulley and resized belt but owner pays.

Or refit same belt as before and hope it does not happen again. I have done that and there is no indication that it is out of tolerance or will come off again.

brucenz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V V8 - 2006 6.0
i have a 2006 Calais v 6ltr and have thrown the air con belt a few times (normally when i give it a good thrash :) ) 2 min fix to refit it not worth worrying about :)

Komitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodores
I have a myo8 ve omega if air con stops working also it is possible that its low on gas as well apparently there designed that way to stop the compressor from stuffing up as mine has done this when low as it had a tiny pin hole leak in the condenser. That is also another option too.

Laney74

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS Holden Commodore
Hi. My 2007 VE SS had a new battery put in and the air conditioner vents locked on to the windscreen vents and is blowing hot on passenger side and cold on driver side. Is it the actuator or hvac as reset was done and fails? The air conditioner was working perfectly cold and ahh vents and different levels eg face, feet, windscreen. And went this way after the new battery was put in. Please help!