Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
So I'm better off just to wait til it stretches and the engine check light come on so then I can prove it ?

Not if it's out of warranty you aren't. The first step would be as suggested - find out on what basis your friend holds that opinion and take it to Holden.

Reaper

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
He's probably saying that based on hearing the rattle at sart up... but ask him and make sure.

mrl1985

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Commodore Acclaim II
Mines in at Gateway now. 2006 VE omega. Took it to another local Holden dealer (Not gateway) for ABS issue, cleared error. Done it again, cleared error then again. By this time I had the shits so I took it to Repco and they fixed it (Wheel sensors, obviously). Check engine has come on very intermittently since I purchased it (2nd hand, 2 years ago @ 104,000km). Each time, it didn't matter who, Holden or Repco said they cleared the error and no issue. That was cool, I figured if anything it was just a shitty computer, and heard many people had this (false) issue. So, the engine light come on, I didn't have time to muck around with the mech again so I put up with it for a few days, just clearing the error off when I start it up, it wen't away by itself (it's done that before too)... After this, I started my car after work one afternoon (Warm day). Noticed squealing going on, so had took it to the mech, replaced the belt and the noisy tensioner (This was early December). This was a week before I left my job, about 1 1/2 months ago. Straight after this I noticed pretty quickly that the car is making a very light chain slipping noise when revving at 1500-2000rpm, in idle and drive. Took it back to the mech that day, and they couldn't hear anything unusual, they said just to keep an eye on it and see what happens.

Well, I had no choice, nothing else happened until I'd left my job, then engine light come on, I was too busy to take it back to Sydney, so put up with it through Christmas and all that. Car was fine cruising around til last Thursday. It must have been the heat stretching the chain just a bit too far for the computer to put up with, car went into safety mode, lost power, 3 cylinders wouldn't fire. I pulled over straight away, turned it off, fired it back up and straight back into safety mode. The closest mechanic was next to my girlfriends work (Owned by the same place, so got a free quote :) ). So we left it there for the weekend and both walked home. Monday comes around, wen't around to see what the go was and because they didn't have the genuine Holden computer, they were only getting random codes, so I drove it over to Gateway Holden, had to keep my hand on the handbrake as the brakes were also temperamental, and almost sent me through a stop sign (Luckily the car would only let me get to 30km/h anyway, not that I would have pushed it otherwise!). So, dropped it off on Monday, yesterday they called me and told me it's up for a chain. I'll get more details on prices, but I'm paying about 3600 for timing chain, it's 180,000km service, new brakes and discs, rego check. Balls.

SV6.07

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6 Nitrate & 2011 VE SV6 Poison Ivy
mine was done in melbourne for $1700 and he supplied a car for me to use while it was being worked on.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
My nephew has just recently purchased a 2007 WM Caprice, the build plate says it is a December 2007 build, is he likely to run into this stretched chain issue or was it fixed by this time. He is a bit concernered about it. Car seems fine, I think it has done around 80,000 km.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Someone has posted the range of engine numbers effected by dodgy chains. I wouldn't worry about it, it either happens or it doesn't. My engine apparently has dodgy chains and it's still going at 185000

Brisbane_VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks for the info guys... Appreciate it.

I own a 2006 SV6 in Brisbane which has done 155,000kms & the engine light came on (Code p0008)

My local mechanic cleared the code but it are back on, they have quoted me around 2.5-3k which seems about the going rate, I'm definitely going to try the software upgrade first and hopefully that solves the issue.

Anyone recommend a mechanics in the Brisbane area?

Brisbane_VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Thanks for the info guys... Appreciate it.

I own a 2006 SV6 in Brisbane which has done 155,000kms & the engine light came on (Code p0008)

My local mechanic cleared the code but it are back on, they have quoted me around 2.5-3k which seems about the going rate, I'm definitely going to try the software upgrade first and hopefully that solves the issue.

Anyone recommend a mechanics in the Brisbane area?

Just to clarify it is a stretched timing chain.

Any info appreciated :)

Beaubo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve omega
It depends weather the ve are a free running engines or a non free running to weather it's bad if it snaps free running just derates and doesn't cause hardly any damage non free running bad alot of damage. Either way you want it done coz the loss of power is just annoying as