Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve commodore stretched timing chain repair cost??

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Interesting reading on the software. I wonder how many people get the software update and then bail on the car before it becomes a problem again....

Reaper

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The software either fixes the problem or it doesn't, if it does it shouldn't reoccur.

If it doesn't then you need to get the chains done.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I had my software update done and it still came up with the error. I can honestly say that since having the chains done its a lot less rattly on start up. I never noticed it before but since it was fixed you can tell that there's a difference.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
^^^Might have to get some quotes because Z3RO paid $2500 for holden up here. Then something else was wrong with it and wanted more to have a look and quote him. He ended up getting a 2nd hand engine fitted for 2k. after paying $2500 poor bugga.

But like said if its not going to be a big outlay I'd be prepared to pay around the 2k mark but thats about it.

I remember my brother inlaw got a clock spring done at holden for his Vy clubby. it wasnt cheap and he asked them why so much and all they said was we have over heads and people too pay. But i think thats what comes down to most shops these days is the over heads. more then the service and price. Not that im bagging any. I mean when something Elec is wrong with my car it goes to holden. when its something else normally I can do it myself or take it else where. Pays to shop around. But sometimes when im that pissed at the car I give in and pay holden to do the work lol.

OT. a software update isn't going to fix Stretched chains. the problem will still be the chains are stretched lol.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
OT. a software update isn't going to fix Stretched chains. the problem will still be the chains are stretched lol.

I could be wrong but doesn't the update change the parameters of the sensor so it has a higher tolerance to stretching?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I could be wrong but doesn't the update change the parameters of the sensor so it has a higher tolerance to stretching?

Correct.

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
Ah thats even better to know then.

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
After reading through this thread, does the engine check light always come up when your timing chain is stretched ? as i own a 08 omega with 96000 kms and a family friend whos a mechanic said my timing chain is on its way.

I do have warranty on the car still but my warranty wont cover it if no error code comes up regarding it and they wont believe if someone told me.

Does the check light always come on and actually reads as the timing chain is stretched ?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
After reading through this thread, does the engine check light always come up when your timing chain is stretched ? as i own a 08 omega with 96000 kms and a family friend whos a mechanic said my timing chain is on its way.

I do have warranty on the car still but my warranty wont cover it if no error code comes up regarding it and they wont believe if someone told me.

Does the check light always come on and actually reads as the timing chain is stretched ?

I reckon you'd be flat out convincing Holden to replace it. That said, on what basis does your friend say it's on the way out? Those reasons (and bringing him along for more knowledgeable arguing power) to the dealership might help your cause.

Reaper

johnni

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Commodore
I reckon you'd be flat out convincing Holden to replace it. That said, on what basis does your friend say it's on the way out? Those reasons (and bringing him along for more knowledgeable arguing power) to the dealership might help your cause.

Reaper

So I'm better off just to wait til it stretches and the engine check light come on so then I can prove it ?