Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE Series 2 "Z" Series Audio.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
Hi Folks,
I'm a long time reader but first time contributor so please be gentle.

I've just taken delivery of a new VE "Z' Series SV-6. The car drives well, the seats offer plenty of support and the extra room inside is handy. All my driving is highway work using Cruise Control but there's still plenty in reserve if I have to pass another car. I haven't towed with it yet.

Gosh there are areas of the interior build that leave a lot to be desired. The other two cars in the family are imports and I can understand why this make of car is outselling Holden. Holden really need to lift their game here.

Anyway.............onto the audio in the Z.

It's disgraceful and deplorable.

If Holden have an Audio Design Department and I had any influence you'd all be looking for new jobs tomorrow. What a joke.

I've been trawling through all the threads and I have compiled a fair bit of information but I guess I'm after a December 2012 update if anybody will contribute.

I removed the center dash speaker after the third day of owning the car. I read on the forums where the center speaker grills on the VE'S are temperamental to remove. They say to persevere though and to be brutal as you won't break them.

This is incorrect.

There are actually two types of center speaker grills that are basically identical, except for one having a tough metal mesh and the other plastic.

The plastic center speaker grills will break if you are rough with them.

I'd agree with other posters that the removal of that center speaker is an improvement.

That center speaker is an insult to iron ore, copper and paper. Granny's 1960 AM Battery Transistor Radio had a better speaker in it than that.

I'm planning my update on the audio so I am asking for some advice. Technology is moving ahead so there may be some updated equipment you guys are aware of that I am not.

I'm after quality over quantity. My I Pod is always plugged in and I'm not into any Screamo or Doof Doof.

I already have the enclosures for a pair of 6" x 9"'s to go behind the seats. I don't really require subs and I feel the 6 x 9's will give me enough bass anyway. I'll update the door speakers with some decent 2 ways and fill the service holes and Dyna Mat the doors. That's all taken care of. I'll be updating the wiring too.

Next is where I need the advice. I'm thinking of a digital EQ (converting to RCA) then into a 4 (or 5.1) channel amp.

I've been reading where you guys have been installing just a stand alone high level input amp and that's been working too. I'd prefer a sound processor or EQ in line first.

Are there any updated thoughts other than what's posted in previous threads? I'll be sourcing everything on-line from O/S and self installing. I'm also based in Melbourne.

Thanks and all the best for the festive season.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...8610-focal-kevlar-series-speaker-upgrade.html

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE Series 2 "Z" Series Ute
Hi Folks,
For any of you with SV-6's that want the RCA conversion work undertaken on the head unit, Greg from ASR in Sydney contacted me and he is planning a Road Show in early 2013. I'd suggest you register your interest with him.

Thanks Wongy,
Happy to keep you updated and share information and you will be welcome to hear the result when the work is completed.

Thanks SUP3RST4R_DJ.
I have ordered Dyna Matt out of the USA (thanks The X Man too on this) and from what people are saying take the time and do the panel between the tub and the rear of the seats if it's a Ute.

Thanks TraidMarc too for your input.

If my brain wasn't scrambled eggs over this then it's porridge now.

I checked the SSV Ute yesterday. Jumped in it and switched the radio on. The owner had it tuned to an Easy Listening FM station and I have to say the sound was very good. I checked Config/EQ and all the levels were set neutral. It had bass and midrange and was far superior to what I've ended up with in my new Ute. The SSV is a year old.

I have to say I walked off annoyed. I'll be with the owner this weekend and I'll investigate further but all I can gather is it's a premium system???? Looking at it briefly though there's nothing to indicate that it's not just a standard Holden IQ system just like mine????

I've had another friend contact me and he has a VZ one tonner that I have to check out. He's updated the splits and has a Focal sub under the driver's seat. Autobahn did the work. He'd had several cars done by them locally and has been happy with their work. Strangely enough this guy is the absolute last person I would ever expected to have updated audio in his car. I guess I just don't know my friends well enough. I'll hear it for myself in the next few days and report back. He has complained that the dash now rattles and he wants to remedy that. I've already been warned on that.

As for me Wongy I think I'll be going the professional install with updated splits, amp, Dyna Matt and the 8" subs installed in the pillars behind the seats. I plan on visiting the installers late next week afre the break and may book the car in.

Another option that was suggested (if you self install) was to do it modually. Just swap out the factory speakers and update the splits and Dyna Matt everything first.

There were suggestions that it might be enough on it's own...............and if not add the amp and updated wiring later and see what you come up with. You could even add the subby later again as long as the amp was capable.

Whilst I am on the Commodore bashing bandwagon again................I drove my Mazda 3 to work last night. The new Ute stayed in the shed only because I wanted some decent sound on my commute. The commute to and from work is "my time" where I can shut the world out and listen to my IPod.

The connections in the Mazda are the same as in the "Z" series Ute. They are buried in the console under the centre arm rest. Mazda have incorporated two nice rounded recesses into the front under the arm rest. When you raise the arm rest and plug in the recesses are where you place the lead to your IPod or IPhone. When you close the arm rest you don't jam the lead in between the console and the arm rest lid. Simple enough?

Then there's the Ute.

No recesses. Minimal clearance between the arm rest cover and the console for the lead. There's enough clearance there for the lead if you're careful but don't just slam the lid!

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mshagg,
I have express permission from wife to do what is required to fix the audio in that Ute. She said she will release the funds.

She says that it's as much for her sanity as mine and the kids agree ha ha ha.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
I've got a ute also & have to admit the stereo isn't brilliant, but as I'm generally in it for shorter trips, it does the job. The Mrs can't stand when I crank it up anyway.

I believe Walkinshaw have started offering the Rockford audio upgrade in the ute... No idea how good it is or how expensive (Bet it's right up there!) but that could be another option for you to investigate.

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks swingn_wasabi.

I had already noted on other Forums regarding the Walkinshaw audio upgrade and I'd checked it out too.

Thanks.

I can't recall the prices even though they were listed. They were expensive and certainly out of my league. I am finding that there is no limit to what you might spend on car audio.

The possibilities are unlimited.

My commute to work is 40 minutes each way so I enjoy my music on the drive. I have a 600k round trip on for this weekend and I am obliged to take the new Ute but I'll just listen to the radio all the way there and back.

I'll get frustrated if I'm listening to my IPod on that awful audio system for a long drive.

And I agree that the audio in that Ute may very well do the job in it's standard form for many. Not me. I think I've been spoiled by the audio in the Mazda 3 being of better quality.

Gosh there are a lot of owners not happy with it though.

swingn_wasabi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SS-V Redline Ute
^^^

My commute is a shorter distance, but takes just as long & have always made a note of having good audio in my cars. I normally have my Mrs with me these days, so I have conversation to occupy me these days :p

Very interested to see what you land up doing. Audio can get very expensive if you're a bit of an audiophile (Have spent heaps on my home set up!).

If anyone has any info regarding the Walkinshaw set up (Like hands on experience) in a ute, I'm sure there's more then just me who would be interested :D

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey Folks,
I went and checked out the VZ one tonner today. It's an aftermarket head that the owner has had in several cars. He tells me that he's registered on this Forum so if he reads this he may elaborate.

The updated splits and Focal sub he had fitted by Autobahn. Not sure about what the amp was. Sorry.

The sub is under the driver's seat. Not sure if it's a 10" or 12" but it's a Focal incorporating it's own amp in the slim line enclosure valued at around $700.

I took with me my IPod. I just wanted to hear Joe Satriani play "Satch Boogie" on the system.

Wongy295 if you read this:- Whichever way you go include a subby in the installation. It's worth it. It sounded sensational.

The interior in the VZ hadn't any sound deadening installed either. The owner is considering this. I didn't notice the dash rattling. The rattle (when it happens) is the panel best described as the lower portion of the instrument cluster. It's noticeably loose anyway.

If my Ute sounds anything like that after this update I'll be a happy man.

Dad's Ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
I checked out that SSV Ute on the weekend and it has a superior audio system with speakers in the "B" pillars in behind the seats.

The extra speakers may have been subs but it was difficult to tell. It was difficult enough just to see where the speakers were. I found them by feel.