Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Focal Kevlar series speaker upgrade

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
About to get a audio upgrade,after listening to speakers at the car audio place, I have settled on this set up:

Focal 165KR Splits up front
Focal 165KRC coax in back
Focal 10inch sub in Focal ported box, decided on this as I don't need HUGE bass but the 10 is tight and takes up little room or is easy to remove when I have the car packed with my band gear
Focal FP 5.500 5 channel amp under the passenger seat 4x75w RMS + 1x300w RMS(for the sub)
Focal sound deadening mat

I have been quoted $2900 installed

Does anyone have a similar set up(same speakers at least) and are the happy with the installed sound?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Focal is a good brand. If you like that stick with it. Guaranteed every body will come in with their own opinion and tell you not to get Focal and to get xyz brand though. Is it possible to get a break down of the individual prices though?

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
i have them splits in my cruiser. Very good quality sound.

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
I will try to get back with the actual break down, I had it on a piece of paper........but he is going to email me it.

Hsv is king

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve SS
i have these splits in my car they sound very good and clear, one thing to consider is the sub size i started with a 10 inch sub it sounded ok good but not great ( sub was an id10) but then got a 12 inch installed much happier with the sound much fuller bass as a 10 inch as more punchier bass in my opinion and it did not take up much more room in the boot than the 10 inch.

I would listen to bit the 10 inch and the 12 inch if you can also if the budget allows it consider a bitone they make a huge difference to the sound.

but it all personal preference

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
i have these splits in my car they sound very good and clear, one thing to consider is the sub size i started with a 10 inch sub it sounded ok good but not great ( sub was an id10) but then got a 12 inch installed much happier with the sound much fuller bass as a 10 inch as more punchier bass in my opinion and it did not take up much more room in the boot than the 10 inch.

I would listen to bit the 10 inch and the 12 inch if you can also if the budget allows it consider a bitone they make a huge difference to the sound.

but it all personal preference

I like the punchier bass, its a matter of taste but from my experience in bands if you ask a drummer how they want there kick drum to sound it is that tight thump, so to me that's how the system should play, of course that is just my theory, it obviously depends on what kind of music you listen to, but I'm sort of 80's 90's rock so it suits that.

I will have to look int bitone is that a brand?

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
hey mate just wonderin where this quote was from im keen on a similar setup i love the focals and how is it going to be connected either via LOC's or via the hi inputs on the amp.

Cheers

He didn't mention LOC's and I have the same question actually so I will find out, but I think the Focal amp uses the Hi inputs. the quote was from Oak Flats electronics. I should be able to put up a break down of the price later today or tomorrow

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I like the punchier bass, its a matter of taste but from my experience in bands if you ask a drummer how they want there kick drum to sound it is that tight thump, so to me that's how the system should play, of course that is just my theory, it obviously depends on what kind of music you listen to, but I'm sort of 80's 90's rock so it suits that.

I will have to look int bitone is that a brand?
When buying cheap arse subs then a 10" might be more "punchy" than it's 12" equivalent model. But with decent subs and the correct box a 12", even a 15", can be as responsive as a 10" but have more output and play lower bass.

OFF T4P

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
383 HSV GTO coupe & vk ls1 turbo
Go with 2 x 10" rockford p3's. Very punchy and tight