Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ve ssv a/c won’t turn on

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
In addition to the initial enquiry above of 2017.....I get caught sometimes with this.
You can push aircon on off button all you like but if you turned the fan down to zero on your last drive and the system is in manual the aircon will not turn on no matter how many times you push the On button.
What you need to do is wind the fan speed up from zero......then the aircon will work.

Alternatively turn the Climate control all the way to Cold (C), then hit the Auto button. The aircon will set to 17C and start blowing.....

DaveOBunbury

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE Commodore Ute Series 1 6 speed manual
Hi Joelene, I’ve been doing what you have said to do and I still can’t seem to get it to to move to the face position. I’ve even put another module in...

Any suggestions?
Dave

DaveOBunbury

Reaction score
Members Ride
owning a series 1 2008 SSV since new I have had my share of aircon problems.
These fixes might help you out.
Symptom - Aircon stops blowing cold air after a while. Sounds like it is strangling. Can't get more air by manually operating fan control....changing to recirculate or fresh air achieves nothing.
Resets itself after being stopped for an hour or two.
Problem- Aircon evaporator inside dash is icing up and stopping air flow. Another symptom is you will find a lot of water under the car after it has purged itself on next start up.
Fix - Temperature probe inside the aircon unit is in the wrong place. This has happened during manufacture by Adair. Google Adair VE Commodore for a fix.
The basic fix is - Remove Glovebox. Locate green plugs on HV control unit. Don't touch these. Next to one is a white connector with two black wires protruding from it pushed sideways into the aircon unit next to the green plugs. This is the temperature sensor.
Turn it 45 degrees clockwise and withdraw the sensor. Open the white connector and pull the sensor out to 35mm from the connector and reinstall. This makes the sensor go into the colder air and work properly inside the unit. Then it won't ice up.

Symptom. Air Actuators jammed in one position. Adair has a recalibrate for these.
Turn ignition to on but don't start.
Set fan speed manually to 50%
Hold rear demist button for 5 seconds.
When you hear air actuators moving and fan speed drop release button
Wait until actuators stop moving and fan starts again.
Reset is complete. Actuators should be in correct positions. If not then one actuator is stuffed and needs replacing.
Hi Joelene, I’ve done what you have suggested and it doesn’t want to change positions... It also stays on windscreen demist... And blows hot air while it’s still on a/c...
Any suggestions please.
Dave

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I was under the impression the sensor was to be withdrawn into the connector, bringing it away from the evaporator more.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You need to replace the actuators relating to the various function/s affected. Back in 2019 I made a few posts of how to disassemble the whole HVAC and it includes photos of it all out of the car, so you can see them easy.

I also posted the sensor mod. Not your issue here.

HVAC module could be buggered but check the easy stuff first.

https://www.autoinstruct.com.au/man...dore/replacing-air-conditioner-actuator-hvac/

As for the system not coming on at all? Low gas as been mentioned many times in this thread already. Other things could also be faulty compressor clutch. (Not as likely)

DaveOBunbury

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is the document referred to. And yes it does go in further. My memory is foggy on that one.
https://www.aaen.com.au/old/ADAIR AC TECH TIPS.pdf
Thanks mate I appreciate your help... I ended up changing one of the motors that select the face vents and the windscreen vents, but hasn’t made any difference... No issue with the temp with the a/c.
I’ll have a look next at the HVAC and your links... Thanks again for your help...

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The flaps inside the HVAC work together for some functions. Replacing one actuator may not always resolve the issue.

There is the Control module (mounted next to the fan behind the glovebox) to consider

After replacing the actuator, did you perform the calibration/reset procedure?

DaveOBunbury

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, and when I did it went straight to windscreen demist and the a/c turned off.... I couldn’t select anything else... I replaced the module and it did the same thing.. Now I’m back to the original module and nothing has changed... Straight to windscreen demist and heater..

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Another more complicated cause can the facia itself. That isn’t so easy to figure out and requires a high end interface device like a Tech2.

A high end interface device will test the operation of the system without using the facia controls. All done via the device.

In these situations, buying a Tech2 at $400-$600 can be worthwhile if you are technically minded. Will help a lot with other things as the car travels through its life.