Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SSV OTR's Which one and why

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SportWagon, VZ Crewman Cross 8
Picked up my VCM OTR Saturday morning and insalled it Sat arvo. Took about 2 hours, should have taken about an hour but I dropped the bloody A/C condenser bolt and couldn't retrieve it. FFS. Anyway first impressions are pretty good, exhaust note has changed, slightly deeper and induction noise deeper as well. Definetly more power most noticeable on pick up/response, before there was always a slight lag. Will update again in a couple of weeks once I whave put a a couple of tanks thru it and it settles down in regards to fuel economy.

chocco

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SportWagon, VZ Crewman Cross 8
Been a couple of weeks now and look like the fuel economy has settled down. Without a tune and no change in driving style the average has dropped from mid 17's to mid 14's per 100km, which is pretty damn good I reckon. But the most noticable diff is when you go WOT in second gear, Oh my god the change is huge. Very happy with the VCM.

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
Been a couple of weeks now and look like the fuel economy has settled down. Without a tune and no change in driving style the average has dropped from mid 17's to mid 14's per 100km, which is pretty damn good I reckon. But the most noticable diff is when you go WOT in second gear, Oh my god the change is huge. Very happy with the VCM.

Mate wait til you get your car tuned, it's a completely different car to drive...so much responsive throughout the rev range & the fuel economy is even better.

holdenhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 ve valais v 6.0 ltr
hi guys i have a ve calais v v8 and i want to get an OTR fitted and get it maf tunne, but which one is ADR approved and where i can get info about it, as TinSnips said the vcm otr is adr approved but i need a letter that is ADR approved to keep in the car because where i live western suburb of melbourne the cops always targets the v8's... thanks

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
No ones mentioned the russo OTR which is probally the best takes all the air from behind the grill, have a look at your VE how is it going to get air from above the radiator??? The russo moves the radiator back so there's more room for nice cold air

Google Image Result for http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3012/3103559051_63964d3c1e_o.jpg

Having said that i'm about to change to a duspeed to suit my 102 t/b setup be interesting to see if any gain.

Also heard that the VCM has a few filter moving issues from a few owners one even changed to a duspeed he was that unhappy

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
No ones mentioned the russo OTR which is probally the best takes all the air from behind the grill, have a look at your VE how is it going to get air from above the radiator??? The russo moves the radiator back so there's more room for nice cold air

The thing is, air isn't being forced through the filter so having it exposed behind the grille doesn't matter. When driving, air is being pushed through the grilles and supplies the area above the radiator (and others behind the front bar) with plenty of fresh air. In traffic I can see the benefit of having the filter more exposed though.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
You'll probably find, too, that most OTRs will actually tilt the radiator back the way the Russo unit does to allow for greater flow of air. VCM tilts it back and slots down infront of the radiator, as does the ORSSOM and probably the Dus, so there really isn't a big difference between them. Personally, it will be the VCM for me.

Homer's HSV

Homer Simpson
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE E3 Clubsport
@holdenhsv as tinsnips said if u dont want any dramas the VCM with a NON oiled filter (which i have) complies with roadworthy as u prob no u are allowed 1 cold air modification but must have the MAF and insurance cant say anything cause its roadworthy. Peace of mind you can call the epa or vicroads and ask the what u want to do always helpful when i had questions.