Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SV6 Hard to steer

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes, very easy.
Once the vehicle weight is put back on the front wheels and those grinding bearings have to carry maybe 450 kgs each, they won’t be so easy to turn ;) And due to the King Pin Inclination (and Caster?), the vehicle side will rise and fall as the wheels turn which also causes the heavy feeling due to vehicle weight but can be further compounds by the stuffed strut bearings :eek:

Guess you could try and lower the car onto some lazy suzans placed under the front wheels where I suspect it won’t be so easy to turn the wheels :rolleyes:

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8Z, VF Wagon, VF ute, VE S1, S2
Hey Guys i was doing trying to tighting the bolts in the new top struts and the ball bearings started to come loose? Am I in pickle right now? Or i should just place them back in????

Attachments

• IMG_2694.jpeg
    IMG_2694.jpeg
    301.2 KB · Views: 22

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey Guys i was doing trying to tighting the bolts in the new top struts and the ball bearings started to come loose? Am I in pickle right now? Or i should just place them back in????
Pull it apart & see whats happening? Has the place where the bearing sit split?

The hooks on the spring compressor are supposed to go over the springs, top & bottom, as far as l know?

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Disassemble the strut. Gather all the bearings. Clean them in a container with brake cleaner. You should be able to separate the two halves of the bearing. Get them back in there.

It’s happened because you have the spring compressor fitted incorrectly. It’s quite dangerous too. Gently undo them so they don’t slip. Do not have your head near the strut top. That will be like a loaded gun with compression on it like that. Also do t undo the nut on the strut without relieving the sprung tension.

The compressor needs to be hooked into the spring.

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
The rod in the middle of the strut is spinning freely and i dont have 24MM spanned to hold the nut and tight the rod head (10mm) and btw the top of the struts looks fine

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
The rod in the middle of the strut is spinning freely and i dont have 24MM spanned to hold the nut and tight the rod head (10mm) and btw the top of the struts looks fine
You bought or borrowed the spring compressors, so go & buy or borrow a 24mm ring spanner.

If you're going to do a job, you need the correct tools, if you not gonna bother with the correct tools, you will f#ck it up. So send it to the mechanic, who has the correct tools & you can pay him (assuming its a male) to f#ck it up, & hope he doesn't f#ck it up? ;) ;)
Trying to be funny?hahaha

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The bearings fell out. That is the very thing that is possibly causing your grief. Don't half arse it.

There is a Hammerbarn 20mins away from everyone in built up areas. They will have a 24mm spanner.

Get the right tools.
Use the tools correctly.
Get the right results.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride

Mon-aro

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks guys i raced to SCA and got me a spanner!

Now what sort of lube should i use for the bearing balls? Same as the lube i use on grinder date?

Attachments

• IMG_2701.png
    IMG_2701.png
    265.5 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
That style of spring compressors when used correctly can still be dangerous. When used incorrectly, as you have, it can be lethal :eek: Consider yourself lucky :oops:

The fact is that if you’re not 100% across such tasks, that require compressing springs which can store huge amounts of energy, best and safest to get help from a skilled person who has the correct tools or leave it to professionals ;)

Hate for a forum member to go dark after a spring explodes never be heard of again :eek: