Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE / VF cabin air filter (a must do)

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
It takes about 10min max to replace it,
I thought the same, [when I went to replace the first one,
that's where the skivet tool comes in handy ;)

I’m not sure about the VE, but with the VF it is easy enough to reach the back ‘blindside’ of the scrivets so all that is needed is a flat bladed screwdriver. Pop up the centres of the scrivets, then reach under the scrivets and squeeze the body of the scrivet by hand, and prise the body of the scrivet out with the same screwdriver. The scrivet tool would certainly make it very easy, but it isn’t really needed. A trim removal tool and flat screwdriver would work just as well for a one-off job.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Does anyone know of a carbon filter that fits neatly and with no gaps around it? I've tried Repco and Sakura. They all fit snugly, but there is always a small gap along one of the sides where air can go straight thru (so I still get external odors etc). Each one is different, even with the same brand.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
As both OEM filters were the same in VE and VF, I decided to save one of the filters just in case.......
Perhaps the deal would be to take the Aftermarket filter and glue it onto outside of the aftermarket filter that way you retain the snap fitting of the plastic border on OEM, but get the upgraded filter from after market

just a thought

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Was it @Fu Manchu that mentioned fitting foam draft tape to the edges of the AM filter to make them a snug fit?

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
The VE was really no issue
VF due to the limited space to wrestle the filter in took longer to ensure the edges of filter touched the ducting location

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Was it @Fu Manchu that mentioned fitting foam draft tape to the edges of the AM filter to make them a snug fit?
Yes. K-flex insulating foam seal. A closed cell, adhesive foam that can easily be layered to form any thickness you want. It is the go to. It is cheap. It is easy to find at Hammerbarn in the trade area.

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Thanks all. I'll hunt down some k-flex and give it a go.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
IMG_5173.jpeg

rjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice with LS3
Too easy! Thank you.