Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF LWR LPG V6 oil showing above max on dipstick, overfull?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
5mm above line is nothing to worry about. As someone said above, dealers fill them to that level all the time after service.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
Cheers for all the comments, to be on the safe side I will drain 500 ml out and go from there. I have only driven it 160 kms since the oil change so shouldn't have done much harm. Getting to the sump plug is a pain with the splash plate in the way. Is there another way to drain 500 ml out of it, pump it out from dipstick hole or something?

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Make sure the amount listed in the manual isn't for a dry fill,if it is then you will definitely overfill it with that much oil.
You can never drain all the oil out of a motor when servicing it,theres always some left in the block/heads/oil galleries etc.
It is listed at 7.2 litres for general services including filter

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
5mm above line is nothing to worry about. As someone said above, dealers fill them to that level all the time after service.
Yea thats bs. it's worse to overfill than underfill an engine. If the crank is slapping the oil it throws it up on the bores. If you have too much oil on the bore wall the rings smack into it and skate accross it.
On all mercs the cap warns you not to overfill the engine. People like you are why cars have started to have the dip sticks taken away.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Cheers for all the comments, to be on the safe side I will drain 500 ml out and go from there. I have only driven it 160 kms since the oil change so shouldn't have done much harm. Getting to the sump plug is a pain with the splash plate in the way. Is there another way to drain 500 ml out of it, pump it out from dipstick hole or something?
You could try a syringe you can buy from supercheap and a length of clear 8 - 10mm hose (or a size that will fit in the dipstick pipe ) tying to remove the drain plug and trying to put it back in to drain oil can get very messy , don't ask how I know that :(
20191018_154800.jpg

Last edited:

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
I tried to get a syringe to extract some oil out through the dipstick tube but could not fine line small enough to fit in the tube, the VF dipstick is tiny. I will just partially undo the sump plug and take it out that way. I have only covered about 160 km's with it over full, hopefully it had done no harm. I am not driving it until it is all sorted. I have been using the xr6t for most of the week. Tough choice between the xr6t or the vf (boost vs refinement :) )

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I tried to get a syringe to extract some oil out through the dipstick tube but could not fine line small enough to fit in the tube, the VF dipstick is tiny. I will just partially undo the sump plug and take it out that way. I have only covered about 160 km's with it over full, hopefully it had done no harm. I am not driving it until it is all sorted. I have been using the xr6t for most of the week. Tough choice between the xr6t or the vf (boost vs refinement :) )

If it is only 5mm it will be fine, the manufacturer designs in clearance for things like this and 5mm would be within expected levels.
You can drain it for peace of mind but it wont have caused any damage at that level.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
I drained out 1 litre and checked on level surface (checked with spirit level) Now it's at the half way mark, so I added 500 ml, should be about right now. Having just checked the official holden owner's manual in the glovebox again, it says 7.2 litres inc filter in the V6 LWR (approx!)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A slight overfill won't effect how the engine runs, a couple of extra litres will but not 500ml.