Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Random chat thread

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I am amazed how cheap Mobil1 is the US though !
That's the sort of price difference that everything used to be, this is why I paid ~$375 for a Torsen-type diff-centre to be sent from the US circa 2000 rather than paying Diff Technics $2000 for the part or $2800 fitted ... I had to do an awful Foghorn Leghorn impersonation in order for the bloke in Bumfuck Idaho to be able to understand WTF I was saying, plus he was absolutely shocked that I was willing to accept his $75 quote for shipping (which arrived within 2 weeks) (oh and I should add the bit where he had to get that quote for shipping from their shipping-company, which I assumed meant they may get around to getting back to me within a week or two given what I was used to, but no he put me on hold for all of 30 seconds to get that quote :)) (and I should also add the bit where the bad Foghorn Leghorn impersonation has worked in terms of them understanding what I'm saying, even though the accents of the various places I've called in the US were nothing like that Kentucky-ish one ... a bad Cartoon Kentucky was easier to understand than an eastern Sydney accent :)).

Mobil 1 used to be cheaper though, when I was buying it, it was about double whatever the cheapest dinosaur-oil was from a recognised brand.

Hey that's interesting, notice how the packaging has changed? One of the other sellers recommended at the bottom has the bottles which SCA are selling with.
Wonder if that's at all related to SCA picking it up, maybe Mobil's on a marketing & rebranding/repackaging Thing at the moment?

Last edited:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Mobil 1 used to be cheaper though, when I was buying it, it was about double whatever the cheapest dinosaur-oil was from a recognised brand.

Hey that's interesting, notice how the packaging has changed? One of the other sellers recommended at the bottom has the bottles which SCA are selling with.
Wonder if that's at all related to SCA picking it up, maybe Mobil's on a marketing & rebranding/repackaging Thing at the moment?

This is $65 but for 4.4L versus the 5L in Repco/ SCA/ Autobarn. Different size and packaging for the US market versus the Australian versions, but same contents?

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
This is $65 but for 4.4L versus the 5L in Repco/ SCA/ Autobarn. Different size and packaging for the US market versus the Australian versions, but same contents?

This works for me as i need 7.6 for oil change so it's close than 2x5L containers.

The oil is the same...just different packaging

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Does anyone know details of the kind of connector the VF horn uses? My 2016 Calais V came with a single horn unit (low tone?). I’ve already bought an OEM high tone unit. But I’ve failed to find the wiring harness / a matching connector to fit it into the car. I’d like to keep things as OEM as possible. Any pictures or part numbers or links to ebay/ AliExpress listings would be very much appreciated.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Does anyone know details of the kind of connector the VF horn uses? My 2016 Calais V came with a single horn unit (low tone?). I’ve already bought an OEM high tone unit. But I’ve failed to find the wiring harness / a matching connector to fit it into the car. I’d like to keep things as OEM as possible. Any pictures or part numbers or links to ebay/ AliExpress listings would be very much appreciated.
The series two only has wiring for one horn. I added this option to my SS and ran two wires form existing horn across to other side. Just watch it as the relay is no longer in the fuse box. No one could confirm if a relay was used in series 2

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
The series two only has wiring for one horn. I added this option to my SS and ran two wires form existing horn across to other side. Just watch it as the relay is no longer in the fuse box. No one could confirm if a relay was used in series 2

Yea. They used that squeaky single unit horn in the name of cost savings. So it’s very likely that they skipped the relay too. I’m planning to add a relay into the mix just to be sure.

Did you use a specific connector to attach the wires to the new horn unit? Or did you just go with generic spade connectors?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yea. They used that squeaky single unit horn in the name of cost savings. So it’s very likely that they skipped the relay too. I’m planning to add a relay into the mix just to be sure.

Did you use a specific connector to attach the wires to the new horn unit? Or did you just go with generic spade connectors?
I made smaller blade connectors to fit the horn plug

Angry8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF HSV Maloo UTE Walkinshaw 557
I hated the squeaky little motor scooter horn on my VF so i installed a Steeble Nautilus compact duel air horn 139 db
it needs its own loom and upgraded the relay as it draws more than what is stated .Wakes the stupid c@nts up !

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I hated the squeaky little motor scooter horn on my VF so i installed a Steeble Nautilus compact duel air horn 139 db
it needs its own loom and upgraded the relay as it draws more than what is stated .Wakes the stupid c@nts up !
That's cool
Wish I could disable the stock horn and just add one of those directly to the car horn button and alarm as im so sick of the horn going off with the keys.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
That's cool
Wish I could disable the stock horn and just add one of those directly to the car horn button and alarm as im so sick of the horn going off with the keys.

The horn chirps with locking/ unlocking can be disabled via MyLink.