Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You're right.
In this day and age when even my TV can get updates OTA, it's nothing more than money grabbing by Holden.
Imagine samsung charging you for every mobile phone OS upgrade or Microsoft charging you for every windows update.
Yes it is money grabbing by Holden but I’m sure many would still pay for current maps rather than 2 year old maps we got In early 2018 (and nothing since).

What annoys me is they could have allowed map providers to supply direct to owners but Holden wrapped maps in their proprietary crap so only they could provide them and charge their middle man tax.

As for Apple, MS and to a less extent Android phone vendors (pre Android 10?), money for updates isn’t taken directly out of your pocket. Instead, we’ve given up and expectations of real privacy and have become the product :oops:

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Dose no one remember how to get up the information?

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
All good @RoganJosh is a legend and fixed the video on the first page.

All the options that show up on the google search are for different variance of my link GM have used and don’t work on the VF

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit of a thread dig but dose anyone remember how to get the hidden menu from the GPS screen?
@RoganJosh had a video on the 1st page but it’s no longer available.

it was something like hit the home button then maps and then push and hold 2 buttons down then the left side of the screen would show your current longitude latitude, elevation above sea level etc.
Thanks to @RoganJosh for again putting up his video showing us how to get the navigation calibration info showing up. But I don't know how he sat through this clumsiness as the video is painful to watch :p To avoid the frustration and get directly to the ‘potato and meat’ fast forward to 6:14 :cool:

Maybe RoganJosh can add the following text to his video post and spare us all the professional fumbling of the Holden techs :rolleyes: and any future loss of the video by these 3rd party hosting sites o_O

The short text version of the video is to quickly press the physical MyLink “Destination” button (not a virtual screen button) then press and hold the same physical button for 10 seconds or more. You should then get the split nav screen with the left side having gps coordinates and calibration info shown.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The short text version of the video is to quickly press the physical MyLink “Destination” button (not a virtual screen button) then press and hold the same physical button for 10 seconds or more. You should then get the split nav screen with the left side having gps coordinates and calibration info shown.

Ah—! Thanks for this!! I called this up on the road today and it gave a fascinating insight into what is happening. There's a gyro somewhere, and even confirmation that the signal and placement is reliable. Charming.

I counted the press as 15 seconds before the screen switched.

Stroppy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Sportwagon
BTW...for those interested... This is the Kayhan "how to" video from their Youtube channel.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
BTW...for those interested... This is the Kayhan "how to" video from their Youtube channel.
“Guys pay attention, Ok guys, Ok guys, you can’t go wrong” :p

Seriously, the unit needs to be mechanically redesigned to either directly accept the factory looms (best option) or those adapter looms need to be redesigned with an appropriate vehicle specific minimum length and to avoid bulky adapter loom interconnects (rca to rca, USB your USB, etc). If there are adapter looms, they should also be foam wrapped to avoid rattles, squeaks and such noises coming from that bulky wiring mess sitting behind the screen :rolleyes:

Otherwise, the fact the Kayan unit is more open than MyLink which is a good thing as you can install stuff on it. That’s a great improvement.

Just a pity nothing ever eventuated from GM’s supposed MyLink App Store and the fact Holden CBF looking after its customers by updating maps (as was the implied agreement when I bought the car).

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hi guys I rang my Holden dealer today and asked about a map update for my magnum i was expecting a not available go away but was told that Holden Australia was not being very helpful (surprise surprise)but Holden NZ were trying to sort something out to get the update which really did surprise me as my plan was ring dealer then Holden care then consumer affairs and fair go . I am not holding my breath but to be honest I have found my Holden dealer very good in the past and from what I've heard from you guys i believe they are better and more trustworthy than the Australian dealers we will see what happens and will keep you posted

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Hq King that would be nice news but sorry to say it just sounds like dealer talk.

Maps updates are wrapped in GM DRM of sorts since the updates are VIN locked and most probably digitally signed. That means the dealers can't do anything without GM's help... At least in Auz, GM/H are playing hard ball though it may be that the NZed market is being treated better (but doubt it).

I think it's time we all started to ring HCC and complain about age of the newest available maps...