Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Sat Nav

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
But wouldnt the SS Chev mylink allow that being they can install there own apps and maps
Apps as well? Didn’t realise that. Wonder if there ever were any worth installing? They don’t seem to have been particularly supportive of app developers ...

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Apps as well? Didn’t realise that. Wonder if there ever were any worth installing? They don’t seem to have been particularly supportive of app developers ...
From what ive seen ( could be wrong ) they had the option to install all the apps themselves that come standard install in our mylink , i dont know if there are other apps that ours didnt get but the point is they have a much more open system

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
But wouldnt the SS Chev mylink allow that being they can install there own apps and maps
I suspect there would be no MyLink systems restrictions that preclude aussies from updating their maps.

Chevy SS owners order the map update from GM and they receive a USB stick with instructions.... much the same way it’s done by dealers down under... The only difference down under is that GM/Holden made a decision not to sell map updates direct to the public as they want/wanted us to go to their service representatives for the upsell.

From memory, Chevy SS owners pay $250 for map update while we pay $160 if done at the time of normal service. So we get a better deal when map updates are available.

The issue is likely that Holden simply couldn’t be faffed generation map updates. Probably a cost issue with their map supplier (others have stated MyLink uses Here map data which is now owned by German car makes, Nissan, Intel and a few others - GM/H is on the outer and not part of that club. If that’s the case GM/H probably can’t get a good deal so they don’t bother... all speculation on my part of course and irrelevant to their ACL obligations. GM is doing it’s own high res mapping in the states, part of their self drive initiative).

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

not sure but from what i have seen in the past with other gm vehicles is the firmware is the same and just tweaked with different apps and logos to suit the vehicle brand and country.
if they can install apps in the chev version they must have some sort of gm app store to download them from because of the operating system and cpu limitations the apps have to be targeting a certain cpu architecture and kernel.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
it will take someone to exploit the bootloader to gain access to the system partitions to make changes or get a copy of a firmware update file and unpack it modify it and repack it.
with any luck now holden is dead people might share around the files for firmware updates and map updates.
Last time I looked, it was the later MyLink systems the Russians we hacking. They’ve been able to add video playback, reverse camera and other GM features to MyLink in vehicles that didn’t have them. Haven’t heard of custom apps being loaded (ODB service app on MyLink would be fantastic).

Seems our old system is a bit of an orphan that no one within the MyLink hack community wants to play with it. Wasn’t it already old when VF got it. In any case, it’ll have to be a local hacking group... but do they exist and have a MyLink itch to scratch is the question...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Last time I looked, it was the later MyLink systems the Russians we hacking. They’ve been able to add video playback, reverse camera and other GM features to MyLink in vehicles that didn’t have them.

some of that was done on the wince based units which was quite easy because you could get developer access and get to the underlying operating system but the main problem for all of that was the cpu was a mips architecture and not many developers have apps available for mips and a windows kernel.

the newer hmi ones i dont know much about because i cant find a complete unit to screw around with yet.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
This is where i saw the apps , but it could be for a diff version of mylink https://www.allenturnerchevrolet.com/blog/your-guide-to-chevy-mylink-app-566340

EDIT : Quote from that web page "You can even customize your Chevy MyLink by shopping for more apps through the Chevrolet Shop."

also a quote from that page "It's easier than ever to stay totally connected on the go with the Chevy MyLink and infotainment system. This system makes it easy for you to connect to your favorite apps directly through your vehicle's high-resolution touchscreen interface via Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ smartphone app integration."

i think it is a different beast like the mylink hmi but if it is the older qnx based one in the vf then someone needs to get the firmware that has AA/CP built in and test it here.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Yes i see now this is a 2018 webpage , obvious now its for a later mylink , just wishful thinking on my behalf , i just enjoy trying to make things do what there not suppose to i guess

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Well, I guess the last map update is going to be it :(

Dear ,

Thank you for inquiring about HERE Technologies.

At this time, the release date of the next update for your 2016 Holden Commodore has not been officially announced and do not have further information on when it will be available.