Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS wheels

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
New owner of a 16 VF series 2 SS with walkinshaw 407 kit.
Cars is red but wheels are silver alloy with black accents - so they are stock as far as I can research.
Wondering if anyone has attempted to polish the alloy / silver parts of the wheels ? Leaving the black side accents ? I feel all black is the go to for red cars and I would like something a bit different….but not sure if the wheel would polish up?

Attachments

• IMG_6860.png
    IMG_6860.png
    608.6 KB · Views: 41

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
They are clear coated.
Painted the gunmetal colour and then they have the face machined and clear coated in 2K.

You can’t polish them.

You can strip all the paint from them and refinish them. Will cost a tonne. Keep them stock. That car will be worth a bomb in years to come.

ZX14RVFSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SS
They are clear coated.
Painted the gunmetal colour and then they have the face machined and clear coated in 2K.

You can’t polish them.

You can strip all the paint from them and refinish them. Will cost a tonne. Keep them stock. That car will be worth a bomb in years to come.
Thanks for reply - will rethink my approach.

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
If you don't like them, take them off, buy what you like, fit the tyres, and store the original rims until you sell the car.
Why do I know this ?
Cos ridiculous prices for OE rims that I should have kept.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
My recollection is a tad vague … but weren’t these same wheels also available with a machined/polished finish on the flat front ‘spoke’ faces & with the same black painted part? On something like, I dunno, an MY15 Calais or similar?

No wait hang on a sec, that’s what THESE are. What’s the finish being sought-after here, if they already ARE polished & clear-coated? Just the same without the clear-coat? I though with alloys you needed to clear-coat or they’d go cloudy?

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
My recollection is a tad vague … but weren’t these same wheels also available with a machined/polished finish on the flat front ‘spoke’ faces & with the same black painted part? On something like, I dunno, an MY15 Calais or similar?

No wait hang on a sec, that’s what THESE are. What’s the finish being sought-after here, if they already ARE polished & clear-coated? Just the same without the clear-coat? I though with alloys you needed to clear-coat or they’d go cloudy?
Was wondering the same thing.
From my research there are 3 variants to these rims. The only difference between them being the paint colour and paint finish inside the spokes. All have a clear coated machined face

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My experience with 2 scrappy CV8R rims that I got as spares.
Under the 'clear coated machined' spokes was a grey primer that was time consuming to remove back to the metal. The clear coat sort of peeled off in pieces.
Polished up the bare metal spokes, again time consuming, and clear coated the metal/alloy.

I think if you try to polish the machined spokes, you will wish you hadn't started.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Was wondering the same thing.
From my research there are 3 variants to these rims. The only difference between them being the paint colour and paint finish inside the spokes. All have a clear coated machined face
Yes there is 3 variants. There's Calais/Caprice with a grey insert and gloss clear coat. SSV with a darker grey insert and satin clear coat, and MY17 Calais with silver inserts and gloss clear coat. The grey insert variants look the best in this style, I think.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon

Not sure if I’m on the same wavelength Forg?…but your description in your first para sounds more like the variation in the 18” SV6 rims?? The black accent arrived with the 2016 black edition and then became standard thereafter on the SV6.
1712465876337.jpeg
1712466613834.jpeg
The rims in the OP’s pic are the 19” that became standard on the MY17 SS and were previously on the MY16 CalaisV….i think???