Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VH ex-police car? what's it worth??

domc

Reaction score
Hi all....

I've got the opportunity to pick up for next to nothing what I believe could be a VH ex cop car and was just wondering what everyone thinks it is worth roughly. The numbers are:

VH8VK69
578218-A
0924-24V
1B 079-D
built Oct 82
L31 M40 GU4

The car is very rough inside and out. It's painted in the SA police blue colour and has the interceptor cop rims. It runs and drives (not the original 5L) and is on gas. If it was just a plain old 6cyl I'd be driving it to scrap yard. How can I tell if it is a genuine ex-police car? just from the paint code? Is it worth picking up??

thanks everyone in advance!

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
being an exchaser it has more than likely jump more gutters and been driven harder then a P plate ever could , repaired many ex-chasers welded floor plans and bashed rails square replaced many trans mounts and cats that have been beaten flatter than a run over cat ,cut off many sump guards , sent may seats to the trimmers for repairs . plenty of square rims replaced and tyres with lumpy sidewalls .

its worth as much as you think it is but wont make your money back on it .

domc

Reaction score
It's been offered to me for $100 so I might just drive it to the scrap yard, take out the dissy and leave it there...

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
It's been offered to me for $100 so I might just drive it to the scrap yard, take out the dissy and leave it there...

If the car is not registered, why bother?
Even if it is, what will the scrap yard give you for it? $100 probably.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
In VH the BT1 was only available as an M21 4sp manual, any M40 (Trimatic) car is just a 5.0L SL Commodore, but it will still have the big LSD Salisbury in 3.08:1 and four wheel discs.

A BT1 should have the V5H engine option with a prefix of "VZ" if it's the high output motor (basically the same as the A9L engine, "X" rods, "B" cast heads etc.)

Are you in SA? (If you were closer I'd take it off your hands for double what you paid!)

crazywog

XR6 TURBO KING
Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6 TURBO she needs a tissue achoo
id be sussing out about the car its past history.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
In VH the BT1 was only available as an M21 4sp manual, any M40 (Trimatic) car is just a 5.0L SL Commodore, but it will still have the big LSD Salisbury in 3.08:1 and four wheel discs.
Only way you could get a VH SL with a 5 litre is only Government order. It wasn't available to other buyers at the time

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
if you've got the space, for $100 you could part it out and easily make some $$
depends I guess what engine,trans,diff and interior is fitted
it's amazing the price second hand bits for these old girls are now going for on Ebay. Even rear quarter vents in reasonable condition are fetching decent money