Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VIC] Anit Hoon laws have gone to far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Omfg haven't we all heard enough about this **** already? Get the **** over it. If you don't like it, do a Darryl Kerrigan and take it to the high court, if not, sell your car and get the ****ing bus.

Sheesh.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
to the OP,

where did you get that info from? could you chuck a link up to the source mate?

cheers.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
to the OP,

where did you get that info from? could you chuck a link up to the source mate?

cheers.

It has been all over the news in the last few days. If you're in Gippsland it should hit the papers down there sometime the week after next :)

Reaper

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Omfg haven't we all heard enough about this **** already? Get the **** over it. If you don't like it, do a Darryl Kerrigan and take it to the high court, if not, sell your car and get the ****ing bus.

Sheesh.

Or don't click on this thread?

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
yeah we're a few days behind everyone down here... haha.

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
Or don't click on this thread?

Hmmm, nah, i'd rather bitch and complain about the 50 billionth P plater sooking about the new hoon laws thanks buddy.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
So basically you agree with me, driving a NICE CAR doesn't make you a hoon, good.

Opinions mean -****- in court also, you need facts, good.

He wasn't found guilty, in other words, he is innocent as there is no proof, don't get into semantics.

I'll try to make this simple for you:

1. I do not agree with most of what you've said.

2. I wasn't putting my opinion forward as factual evidence. Please try and understand what that means, it's not difficult if you try.

3. The distinction between being proven innocent, and not proven guilty goes beyond simple lexical semanticism. There is a fundamental difference in meaning there.

Example; you see me doing 100km/h through a 40km/h school zone. You can clearly tell I was speeding, nobody would mistake a car doing 60km/h over the limit right? You get my rego and tell the police, they take me to court and you go before the magistrate and say "I saw Danja speeding, he looked like he was doing about 100km/h", then I get up and say "I was doing 40km/h, Kuzman is mistaken, I saw him stumbling around the street, I think he was drunk". There are no other witnesses. The magistrate scratches his head and says "There is insufficient evidence to prove Danja was speeding, case dismissed". Thusly I am not found guilty, but none the less I was speeding, I am guilty, it just wasn't proven.

Do you see the difference yet?

VicCop

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Commodore SV6 SII
This is an absolute Joke, These Hoon laws are really starting to go too far.

We do have rights you know. and we need to stand up for ourselves and protest against these hugely unfair and grotesque laws.

30 day inpoundment for the first offence Far out that will cost around $2500 in inpound fees.

3 months jail for second offence,

3rd offence car will be crushed.

Other laws have been announced that cars will be crashed on a first offence basis of being found to be driving a "illegally" modified vehicle.
WHAT A LOAD OF S@#T.

A political war has erupted over hoon drivers in Victoria, with the government and opposition both announcing plans to crush the cars of repeat offenders.
Less than a week after the tragic deaths of five teenagers in a horror crash in Melbourne's north, both political parties seized on public sentiment to do more to stop young people dying on the state's roads.
On Friday morning, Opposition Leader Ted Baillieu announced his side would introduce tough new anti-hoon laws if elected at the state poll in November.
He said this would include immediate 30-day vehicle impoundment for a first hoon offence and completion of a safe driving course, up to three months jail for a second offence, and forfeiture and crushing of vehicles for a third offence once parts were stripped and sold.
"We want to send a strong message to those people who would offend and the crushing of cars has worked in other jurisdictions," Mr Baillieu said.
"Hoon driving as a problem is getting worse in Victoria and it has to be addressed.
"We want to send a very strong message to those people who would drive as hoons and who would put themselves at risk and put the community at risk."
Three hours later, Transport Accident Commission Minister Tim Holding announced the government intended to introduce new anti-hoon laws this year that also included crushing cars.
He denied the plan was a reaction to the opposition's announcement, saying Premier John Brumby had already announced earlier this week that all options for dealing with hoon drivers were on the table.
Mr Holding said the opposition's plan was "ill-conceived" and put "political opportunism before sound public policy formulation".
"I can say today that as a government we are willing to crush the cars of dangerous hoon drivers when those cars have been confiscated, in certain circumstances," he said.
Mr Holding said the government was "working through" its policy and "making sure we identify any unintended consequences" from seizing and crushing cars, before a full policy announcement was made.
The initial plan included giving the courts two options for dealing with third time offenders - crushing cars, or selling them.
If a car was sold, the money would pay out any existing debt on the car, and any surplus would be given to victims of crime.
If a vehicle was declared unsafe or had been illegally modified to a point where it was unsafe, it would be crushed.
First time offenders would have their cars impounded or immobilised for a week and second time offenders could have their vehicle impounded for up to three months or lose it forever.
Just 18 months ago Police Minister Bob Cameron criticised another opposition proposal to crush hoon cars as "short-sighted, populist and completely irresponsible".

WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS BEFORE THIS GOES TO FAR AND WE LOST BECOME VICTIMS OF THESE RIDICULOUS LAWS.

Yes, everyone has rights. We have the right to vote, the right to be afforded protection of law, the right to remain silent.

We do not however have the right to conduct ourselves in a manner which puts others in danger. Why not stand up against drink driving laws while you're at it? They're always getting tougher.

You say you think everyone should stand up against these ridiculous laws. I'd like to see you try. I'm afraid you're fighting a lost cause as you would struggle to get any sort of support from the general public. The battle you're trying to start resembles the fight smokers have against the tobacco taxes in that no one cares what you think and supports the government's decision.

I suggest you go and try a stint as a fire brigade volunteer or similar and spend some time with a road rescue unit. Only then you'll see what the result is when people drive like complete f**kwits. I have close workmates who were first on scene at the quad fatal in Hampton Park/Lynbrook recently. They had to drag half a dozen near lifeless bodies out of cars and could do nothing but clear airways and let them die on the nature strip as there was nothing else that could be done. Is that something you'd fancy doing yourself?

Before you start thinking, "Oh no, that's completely different" understand that's a very similar mentality to the old "It'll never happen to me" thought process.

You make reference to cars with modifications being targetted. Understand my point of view when I say that there is usually only one reason why someone is driving around with a modified engine which has been altered to enhance performance or with modified suspension. It's quite simple: SO YOU CAN DRIVE FASTER. We're not stupid and know why and it's particularly younger drivers who can't help themselves but push their cars to the limit for a public display and boost their popularity amonst their peers.

I'd go into a more detailed and carefully worded response but I am growing tired of responding to such idiocy as this.

Bottom line: You are an idiot. Obey the rules and give it up otherwise you'll continue to attract unwanted attention out there on the road because at the moment with your attitude it sounds like you need it.

i would 100% agree with the laws if the government provide a place for people to hoon AKA a DRAG STRIP.......

adelaide doesnt have one /endrant

Not a chance. (Former) Chief Commissioner Christine Nixon was very clear at the time in saying that Victoria Police will NOT be backing any such facility. I'm in no position to agree or disagree with that decision.

Remember that the offence of 'Driving in a Manner Dangerous' can occur anywhere, not just public roads.

what a total load of bullshit

Hooning didnt kill those kids in mill park, DRINK DRIVING

i could get a slab of beer then place it in me, get behind the wheel, and as long as i dont "hoon" i get too keep my car, perfect.

how many people each year are killed due to hooning related incidents and how many due to drink driving, be realistic for **** sake

if my car is going to be taken from me and crushed...well good luck on me pulling over.

Are you quite right there? So you can down a slab and it's ok to drive because you're not trying to drive at a high speed or in an erratic manner. Mate, when you're pissed you don't have a choice. Your thought processes are impaired and reaction time increased.

That particular incident is still subject to an inquest by the State Coroner so I won't say much about that. I will however say that driving at a high speed is dangerous enough by itself, especially when inexperience and a car load (overloaded mind you) is thrown into the mix.

I've taken more licences and careers ruined as a result than I care to remember. Not once have I felt bad about it nor thought twice before seizing a licence (immediately after driving) and seeing them before a court six or so months later and being stripped of a licence for a further couple of years.

admin please lock this. i do not wish for fighting to break loose.

Hey, you started this. Now you want to back out?

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Hmmm, nah, i'd rather bitch and complain about the 50 billionth P plater sooking about the new hoon laws thanks buddy.

I haven't been a P plater since 1977 and I'm bitching. They're stupid laws.

if you have complained about the hoon laws then u probably are a repeat offender and instead of crushing your cars VicRoads should put your car on diplay at local shopping centre and sell tickets to who ever wants a turn at smashing it up with a sledge hammer. I'd buy a ticket for that! slow down drive smart and smash it at the track and you have nothing to worry about

I'm complaining and haven't had a ticket or an accident in 25 years.

Stupid unfair laws that will not change anything and give the police the power to be judge, jury and executioner not to mention guilty until you prove your innocence _if_ you have the money to do it. Sorry I don't trust police with that kind of power.

In the last few bad accidents the drivers weren't even supposed to be on the road. They'll do it anyway.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Are you quite right there? So you can down a slab and it's ok to drive because you're not trying to drive at a high speed or in an erratic manner. Mate, when you're pissed you don't have a choice. Your thought processes are impaired and reaction time increased.

That particular incident is still subject to an inquest by the State Coroner so I won't say much about that. I will however say that driving at a high speed is dangerous enough by itself, especially when inexperience and a car load (overloaded mind you) is thrown into the mix.
?

He is trying to say that you can drink drive, and not loose your car, whilst with hooning you can, yet drink driving is alot more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.