Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5.0L questions

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
My personal opinion is, if you wish to get one and the funds do allow it, buy one and keep the VE until you are off your "P's" Whilst it is sitting, you can do the modifications you wish to do and once you have your opens (which I assume) will be in a year or 2, you can then register it and enjoy driving it.

That will help with the police zoning onto you purely due to the licence status...

So another thing to consider
Well, the plan for me is to purchase an SSV or just a VE SS when I get my p plates. I cannot legally drive such car on my P-plates.
So I was thinking to sell the SV6 now whilst the condition and mileage is somewhat decent. Buy the 5L and drive it stock until I get off my P plates

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
Ha ha...I remember there was a fleeting period, maybe 1 evening when the price was 99 CPL locally, usually where it is the lowest price than the average. Missed out that night lol, but from memory the ave. price in those 'desperate' times was $1.29 AU.

About your conundrum. I have a VS SS missile that has everything done. Lays down 11's (licorice strips) all through 1st and 2nd (auto).
Even when it was stock-ish, I could never imagine using it as a daily. Too good, but also too thirsty.
My VZ SV6 fits the bill perfectly. You would regret ditching your current drive car in no time, then it's too late.
Also, is a 5.0 even P plate legal in NSW?
Would love to hear what you did to yours

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
NSW uses the power to weight calculator to work out if a car is legal for P platers.

165kw on a 1450kg car it should be approved.

Here in SA it would be banned due to 8 cylinders. Yet a P plater would be able to hop in a 400kw naturally aspirated 6 cylinder no problems, go figure.
Mine was 1600kg on the scales at work (rounded to nearest 10kg).
I was expecting 1450 and am unsure where the extra 150 could be explained.

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I guess the other thing for the OP to remember being a P plater is while you are allowed to own and drive one, under P plate laws you aren't allowed to do any performance modifications (aka exhaust, headers etc)

So I guess you've got to weigh up if you want to take the risk of getting caught, or leaving it stock until you are off your P's. (Stock 5L's are very boring, the factory exhaust is near silent).

A cop hearing a V8 with a p plate on it is going to be an easy target.
That’s what I am worried about. How dare a P-plater sensibly drive a 5L Commodore, whilst others are driving P-plate cars which are a lot quicker?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
A comparison between the two. Vh 4 speed auto, 355 VP stroker. Ported 2.02 inlet valve heads, mild cam, come racing twin throttle body, extractors, cold air intake, 3 inch exhaust, kalmaker tune. 215 rwkw.

VE SS auto. cold air intake, extractors, twin 2 1/2 exhaust, tune. 257 rwkw.

So much easier and cheaper to get power out of the SS.

In reality though because of the weight difference the standing quarter times would be similar. I haven't tested the VH but the VE was 13.5 with lights go green, take off, no science.

Of the two I would still prefer to drive the VH even though the VE was nice to drive.

The VP motor was put in about 1998 well before the LS motor was thought of. There is no question that had the conversion been done after the LS motor came out thats what I would have used. Far superior motor plus the lighter weight.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mine was 1600kg on the scales at work (rounded to nearest 10kg).
I was expecting 1450 and am unsure where the extra 150 could be explained.
I had my VH on the scales. 1420 kg. I have since taken off the tow bar and fitted Recaro seats so it should be around 1400 kg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
A comparison between the two. Vh 4 speed auto, 355 VP stroker. Ported 2.02 inlet valve heads, mild cam, come racing twin throttle body, extractors, cold air intake, 3 inch exhaust, kalmaker tune. 215 rwkw.

VE SS auto. cold air intake, extractors, twin 2 1/2 exhaust, tune. 257 rwkw.

So much easier and cheaper to get power out of the SS.

In reality though because of the weight difference the standing quarter times would be similar. I haven't tested the VH but the VE was 13.5 with lights go green, take off, no science.

Of the two I would still prefer to drive the VH even though the VE was nice to drive.

The VP motor was put in about 1998 well before the LS motor was thought of. There is no question that had the conversion been done after the LS motor came out thats what I would have used. Far superior motor plus the lighter weight.

My SV6 lol...
Mine is almost all custom.
If you get serious, it has to be more inches. Sorry, but I thought mine as a 5.0 was pretty smart. And it was.
Nothing compared to it now.
Custom manifold, Ford 1.7:1 roller rockers, Comp Cam, Flat top pistons @ +0.005" deck ht., Filled/ ported alum. heads, dual/ staged Ducati throttle bodies (ported), modified headers etc.
Mine is a labour of loveView attachment 258630

Come on guys. Links to build threads!
I need your good reading materials!

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Come on guys. Links to build threads!
I need your good reading materials!
No can do Deuce. Most of the work done on my VH has been done for for many,many years. There is nothing left for me to do apart from drive it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Took the VR for a drive today after 2 weeks of driving the VE......I forget how much I love driving that car.

It gets attention everywhere it goes (got 2 compliments while filling up today).

Even in weekend traffic (which in SA is relatively light) the best I got was 17L/100km at $2.38 for 98 -$35 worth of 98 lasted me about 45 mins of cruising.

Last edited: