Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr v6 supercharged problems

YEH747

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR -BAGGED AND CHARGED 6 & BMW E46 03
He also recomended changing the piping size from intercooler to engine from 2.5" to 3" but alot of people say 2.5" piping is fine and shouldnt lose boost anymore really than 3"

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I run 2.5 from compressor to cooler and 3 from cooler to intake, on a completely unopened engine. According to my external gauge it hits 15 PSI at 6k RPM. It's definitely fishy, even with those mods there is only one and a bit valves open at a time, there should be plenty of resistance.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ide build a boost leak tester they are worth having and cost bugger all to make out of a 4"-3" silicon reducer a pvc downpipe cap plug and an air line fitting.you will be surprised at what leaks a little bit if you get out with some soapy water.

generally cam timing is the biggest loser of boost its quiet easy to loose 2-3 psi from the cam timing alone.you have to be carefull not to blow all your boost clean out the exhaust valve.the cam look like a bigish nitrous/PD charged cam.and should flow pretty good.

going off other brands of centri chargers flow maps your probably running in the peak efficency island of the charger flowing good cfm at a low pressure ratio.but its hard to tell with no maps for the raptor

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What Raptor calls a 12psi pulley would be 12psi on a totally stock engine. As delco already mentioned, boost is just a measure of restriction, better heads, better cam and exhaust and the engine becomes much more efficient.

Just have look at some of the L67 engines, again they have different pulley sizes, up to 19 psi, however on a well built engine, even with such as small pulley you will never actually see 19psi boost in the manifold.

The other thing to consider is, the raptor is the equivalent to about a mid sized vortech blower, you would need to find out which vortech blower they used to actually achieve 12psi on the same engine.

The other thing, as delco mentioned, cam timing.

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
The 61mm pulley as fitted on your charger has seen up to 380rwhp on built Ecotec. The chargers are all the same - except for when optioned with high flow impeller

Inflow air feed to supercharger - must have a section of pipe - cannot be filter direct onto charger, I have proven long ago this reduces charger intake efficiency.

Pipe size to and from Intercooler - this also proven long time ago. 2.5" hot side and 3" cold side , otherwise pressure loss can occur - also proven.

I have test bench - feel free to send it up for test - no charge. Once that's sorted you can REALLY get down to sorting your system. Will also provide you with video of your chargers boost output on our VS V6 so you will KNOW for certain the charger is in spec

Just use a normal gauge for your pressure testing

Last edited:

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
hey tim what is the diameter of the inducer of the compressor wheel i can work out a general max flow off that size alone

Raptorsc

RAPTR6
Reaction score
Website
www.raptorsc.com.au
Members Ride
Hilux 4.0 V6 SC 400kw
71.5mm Inducer/intake diameter

If his motor does 6000rpm the impeller speed with 61mm pulley is ~ 51 500rpm

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
So somewhere around the 35-45lb/min mark what limits the rpm the internal belt life?

Sent from my C8660 using Tapatalk 2