Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr V8 into Vn NOT STARTING :( :(

CalaisLove

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vn calais / Vl Sl
Monkeys437 - see my car is cranking and firing ... I just spoke to my mechanic and he said my car should be starting.. It has fuel spark and compression.. Nothing like imbobilser, gas wiring etc could be stoping it because I've got those 3 components there. So Im going to take the timing cover off and have a look at the timing chain. If that's ok. I'm going to put stock injectors on it and get everything re tested for a second opinion. I'm honestly stumped! Only other thing we can think of is the tune which I just wrote about above

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
If its got the 3 items need to go then 1 of them is the weak link.. My vn had all 3 but would crank and not start. Turned out to be a broken wire in the loom.. The mechanic found that after the coil died 2 times and the ign mod died too.. What code does is show?

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Dans_vz - so basically my car should be good to go with my Vn comp and auto memcal.. Putting aside the tune part.

Yep thats correct- Ive done about four auto to manual conversions and two V6 to V8 conversions so I know what im saying is right as thats exactly what ive done.
It should still run with a different cam without a proper tune it might not run great but it will run.
Something keeps making me think you have an issue with your loom somewhere.
Do you have security system in the VN? Try turning it off if you do

CalaisLove

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vn calais / Vl Sl
If its got the 3 items need to go then 1 of them is the weak link.. My vn had all 3 but would crank and not start. Turned out to be a broken wire in the loom.. The mechanic found that after the coil died 2 times and the ign mod died too.. What code does is show?

Mr calais 5.0 - how would i go about testing the loom for broken wires? and where was your broken wire in the loom? we were using a coil and ignition module from a running vt that both had pulse. i havnt tested the codes yet as not everything in my engine bay is not connected.. alternator, water pump, radiator..

so was yours firing like it was out of tune? i just keep getting told that nothing else matters , as long as i have spark, fuel and compression.. there can be nothing else stopping it from starting ?

CalaisLove

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vn calais / Vl Sl
Yep thats correct- Ive done about four auto to manual conversions and two V6 to V8 conversions so I know what im saying is right as thats exactly what ive done.
It should still run with a different cam without a proper tune it might not run great but it will run.
Something keeps making me think you have an issue with your loom somewhere.
Do you have security system in the VN? Try turning it off if you do

Dans_vz - it kind of confuses me, because as i said above.. ive been told as long as ive got the 3 components it will start and that nothing else could stop it.. is this true?

we took the factory imboliser off so we knew that wasnt kicking in.. but even if i did have a security system wouldnt it like stop it from cranking.. or stop the fuel pump or injectors from working ?

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
Mine had a weak yellow ish spark from the coil.. I put a new ign mod, coil and complete dizy in. Had a mobile mechanic come out and told me it was the Hall effect sensor and he took the dizy out, I put another in and was still the same.. Got it towed to my mother inlaws mechanic and they had it for a week and found that there was a broken wire from the coil to the ign mod.. They also found that the reco ign mod was a dud. They put a known faulty mod in and it ran till it was hot and then shut off.. Another reco mod later and it ran like a train till the new coil boiled and died, another coil and its still going great.. Think the auto elect tested all the wires on the ign side..

CalaisLove

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vn calais / Vl Sl
Mine had a weak yellow ish spark from the coil.. I put a new ign mod, coil and complete dizy in. Had a mobile mechanic come out and told me it was the Hall effect sensor and he took the dizy out, I put another in and was still the same.. Got it towed to my mother inlaws mechanic and they had it for a week and found that there was a broken wire from the coil to the ign mod.. They also found that the reco ign mod was a dud. They put a known faulty mod in and it ran till it was hot and then shut off.. Another reco mod later and it ran like a train till the new coil boiled and died, another coil and its still going great.. Think the auto elect tested all the wires on the ign side..

oh what a hassle for you lol i feel your pain !

so basically i could have spark.. but it could be a **** spark?

my mechanic said he tested the pulse ( dont quote me in the order ) from the dizzy to the computer to the ignition module ? he is content that its all good.. but i might just get my auto elec mate to come test them again to see if they can pick up anything my mechanic missed.. thanks for that.. ill have to give it a look

mr calais 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s 2003
When they tested mine they used a thing that looked like a spark plug with a light in it, when the spark lit the bulb up it was yellow and not a bam right white.. Try putting a lead near a bolt and crank it to see what color and how bright it is. Maybe a video of te car cranking to help everyone on hear to listen to it?

CalaisLove

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
Vn calais / Vl Sl
Yeah i was going to buy one of them.. there like 8 or 20 dollars..

ill upload a video to youtube now and post the link. tell me what you think