Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs common problems

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
I have driven a VS sedan and ute. Apart from above problems:
Both have speedo sticking at low speed.
The transmission inhibitor switch plays up - you have to push it hard forward to start.
The heater valve does not close fully with temperature knob on cold.
Doors are harder to shut if you park on uneven ground (the body is not too stiff).
The felt strips to seal the window at top of doors become loose and fall inside the door.

83vhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle
roof lining,indicator stalk,manifold gasket change as a preventative service,and the auto is just about stuffed mines a vs series 2 v6 and has 202,000km i have done a lot of towing so i can understand the auto ####ing up the car has been really good i will put a second hand auto in it and will probably last a lot longer

83vhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle
yes mine was harsh on the gear changes but has now developed the problem of totaly free reving if you accelerate hard and it trys to shift gear with the revs above 4000,it does this in any gear so i think its time for a new auto,,,,,the harsh shifting started about 50,000 km ago i have allways had the auto serviced at the correct intervals so i am guessing the clutch packs are stuffed in mine

ryan.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn commodore
Hi everyone. I have a 1996 vs spac with 182000 kms on it and have a couple of problems one being theres a ticking nose coming from the engine im pre sure and it onli happebs when i drive the car for half hour or so and it stops when i brake or the car isnt moving, the second thing is when i accerlerate sometimes it stutters, anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Dec82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vs wagon
I've had my vs wagon for over a year now. I've just started a over heating issue. I will start with replacing water pump. Other than that she's been perfect. Also have a 5 speed getrag conversation kit for it.

BowTie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr vt
Do the plastic heater tap, rad cap and thermo at the same time. That's all the cheap stuff and will buy you a heap of reliability.

Any issues after that mean new rad.

Homerjace

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS ute
I recently bought a 96 vs ute, had noisey lifters, ive managed to fix by doing a flush of the engine oil and replacing(may have to do a few times)
Remaining problems are:
Takes forever to cold start: ive tried fuel relay, new filter, no fix still waiting on a new tps to arrive and try that.

Auto trans wont go into 3rd... and sometimes needs a good revving to get into 2nd: still trying to fix, have changed filter and oil in box, waiting on a new tps to arrive ive been told may well be the issue.

Auswolf88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs statesman
Ripper of a thread

Mines a 99 vs ute series 3, 120xxx k
Previous owner loved silicone so had to replace the entire dash etc, converted from column to floor shift, put jeep suspension in and give it a lift

Problems so far were the fan, it only worked when the a/c was on, but im wiring up a switch to manually start it when its needed

The cluster has led bulbs and for some reason they've started to dim or one side will completely drop out, suspected bad earth but can not find it yet

P/s res leaking, hoses and clamps

Good thing with the wiring is im building a hilux with a commy motor conversion snd complete harness swap to a vr/vs so any issues i have had a go to where i can freely trace wires etc

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E