Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vs common problems

nugar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive II S/Wagon
Got a '96 VS Commodore Series II wagon, the only real issue so far is that it stop when going around roundabouts or up steepish hills, like it's run out of petrol (even though it's 1/2 full) been told it could be the Crank Angle Sensor, would appreciate the help if anyone else has had this issue. Once it stops, if I wait 5-10 minutes then start it, it will fire up pretty much straight away.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Got a '96 VS Commodore Series II wagon, the only real issue so far is that it stop when going around roundabouts or up steepish hills, like it's run out of petrol (even though it's 1/2 full) been told it could be the Crank Angle Sensor, would appreciate the help if anyone else has had this issue. Once it stops, if I wait 5-10 minutes then start it, it will fire up pretty much straight away.
it can stop at any time if the cas acting up if it happening when you turn... has the fuel pump been replace because if not seated correctly in the swirl pot it can starve and give you the same impression it has ran out of fuel with tanks half full or less

nugar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Executive II S/Wagon
The fuel pump was replaced about 12 months ago maybe a bit longer by an RACQ mechanic, the CAS has never been replaced since we've had the car, will have to try that.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Carry water with you and when it stops open hood and pour the water on the CAS if it starts straight away it`s the CAS.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
And if it's not cas, more than likely the fuel return line into the swirl pot. Rubber line perishes and breaks.
Easiest fix is a new bit of fuel return line zip tied to fuel pump running down to where filter sock is for pick up.
I'll bet this is the culprit.

John McB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Wagon
I have a 97 VS Commodore ute, its a 6.
I have had issues with it not starting - sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

Did the testing on the Coil pack by removing it and testing primary circuit - all 3 were fine and about the same.
Then tested secondary circuits (where spark plug leads plug on).
The LH coil out of the 3 was not getting a spark, so I replaced it and it seemed ok - did the replacement at auto parts joint so if there was a problem I was already there, Started fine. Drove to a petrol station. Fuelled up, then went to their air pump place and checked tyre pressures.Then to supermarket and bought some filet steak and a coopers green long neck for dinner to celebrate.
Hooked up the trailer and went and picked up some stuff - no problems to get home.

So thats more than 6 times in a row it started like a dream.
Then I went to move car and trailer - wouldn't start.
Checked the leads onto the coil - once was not pushed down properly, pushed the bugger down.
It started so I went phew, and went in and cooked up the steaks for the household and ate them with my Coopers.
Too lovely!

Hopped out of bed nice and early, and went to move trailer to unload it and go and do other stuff with it.
You guessed it - engine turns over, won't start.
Battery is fine at about 12.7.
Checked all the leads on plugs and coil - all fine.
Took plug leads off coil pack 2 at a time, and turned the engine over - no spark happening on all three.

Going outside to disconnect trailer lights and check some wiring although everything I have already checked looks fine.

Any suggestions other than getting a flacon or a mechanic to come on a Sunday?

I am not a good mechanic, but not hopeless either. Have a Gregory's service and repair manual. Live in South Perth WA.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
check your error codes i posted the link four post back

John McB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Commodore Wagon
Many thanks stick3. Didn't know this existed and haven't seen ref to it in the manual. Going out with paperclips in hand.
Maybe I am better suited to an older car!

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
Many thanks stick3. Didn't know this existed and haven't seen ref to it in the manual. Going out with paperclips in hand.
Maybe I am better suited to an older car!
best part of the modern car it will help you find the problem but cost a bit more to fix
in my gregorys manual page 107 has all the fault codes... best of luck mate