Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs executive 1996 ECOTEC

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Latest addition to the Holden family.

001-6.jpg

VP commodore executive, 5 speed manual!

This is my wreaking car for my manual conversion on the VS. Towed it back like that from Tokoroa, just over 100kms.

The VP goes good, considering it has 4 year old petrol in it haha. It sat in a impound yard for that long, now I have it. took it for a sneaky drive down the road. Loving the manual already.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Progress

003-3.jpg

Box removal went well, found it had some lowering springs in the rear witch is cool.

004-7.jpg

Clutch looks really nice, fly wheel is still showing bare steel on the front from being machined. The release bearing feels nice too. Right now my uncle has the fly wheel, he is machining the counter weight off. When I gave it to him he offered to lighten it, but compared to the fly wheel in my mate Skyline it was ridiculously light! can you have much cut off them? i told him not to worry about removing any more mass than he needed to.

Just need a chip and I have everything I need!! Can anyone send me a bin file? I know a guy that can flash my old chip.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Sweet!! Conversion all done. took me about 8 hours, that includes waiting around for my mate to come help me put the box in haha. Wiring was easy, i am luckey i grabbed the VP manual loom and spliced that into the VS loom. I am yet to get a manual computer so i does stall sometimes, but I will put up with it till i find one.

Bad news.

Fly wheel needs to come out :( I had my uncle machine the counter weight off but she vibrates like a mofo, dont notice it while cruising though. Need to fix the exhaust up, drags sometimes. You have to remove a exhaust mount on the VS when you do the conversion.

Other than the fly wheel situation, Extremely happy with it. Love How I can start to feel the car push me into the seat as it gets up into the power curve.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Alrighty, I have been a busy boy.

Thursday night after work I threw the car back up on stands and took the fly wheel out. All this after my shift at work, I finished at 9pm haha. I took the fly wheel, pressure plate and flex plate into Regal automotive to be mirror balanced. I choose these guys because they are highly recommended and they use the Holden 3.8's in their stock cars. So they know their ****. It was a tall ask to ask them to have it done before the weekend, but seeing as I drove the car in shaking like hell on Thursday they were more than happy to help me with my situation. $180 later this:
002-2.jpg

Because of this:
001-7.jpg

Haha at least my fly wheel is quite light now!

Now I read on this forum that the ecotec internally balanced and the fly wheel needs to be neutral balanced ( perfect, no counter weight ). Im saying this for anyone attempting to do the manual conversion on their ecotec.

THE ECOTEC FLYWHEEL IS NOT NEUTRAL BALANCE, If you are doing the conversion from a older buick ( using the fly wheel ) please take your flywheel and flex plate into a auto machinist to be mirror balanced, Its pays to take the pressure plate in too.

End rant haha.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais Supercharged "Auuusiecouch"
Was just reading your thread, when I got to the post about you having your uncle machine off the counter weight .. Noooooo! :banstick: haha

Good you got it sorted. I had Bob Mead at Balancing specialties in New lynn do mine. $115 including some extra lightening :spot on:

Just converted my VS Ute to T5 on the weekend.. Blood e mission! Got it done though and loving it!
New cam and manifold going on soon.

:rockon:

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Was just reading your thread, when I got to the post about you having your uncle machine off the counter weight .. Noooooo! :banstick: haha

Good you got it sorted. I had Bob Mead at Balancing specialties in New lynn do mine. $115 including some extra lightening :spot on:

Just converted my VS Ute to T5 on the weekend.. Blood e mission! Got it done though and loving it!
New cam and manifold going on soon.

:rockon:

Well at least my flywheel weighs as much as two dinner plates!! I think they charge me more because I drove the car there jumping up and down and ask if they could do it tomorrow. so lol

yeh it is amission, but nothing worth doing is easy. now a have to sus out my WOF.

Exhaust leak
Two rear tyres lol :driving:
rear brake pads
rear indicator bulbs wrong colour. ( I have changed them to calais light )
High stop dont work
Fog lights dont work ( one blew so I disconnected them )

I have two tyres at home so just have to buy bulbs and pads :coolpimp:

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Damn dude, I am jelly of the manual conversion that is for sure!

How much did you pick up the VP for?

I will be getting my VS a nice manual box once I get the V8 done (or maybe before) but the V6 will stay auto for the time being.

Bugger i missed the drags, if i had known the stuff with the missus would have ended up the way it did, i would have gone along! I would be keen for a meet up anyway though, compare cars and stuff :D

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Damn dude, I am jelly of the manual conversion that is for sure!

How much did you pick up the VP for?

I will be getting my VS a nice manual box once I get the V8 done (or maybe before) but the V6 will stay auto for the time being.

Bugger i missed the drags, if i had known the stuff with the missus would have ended up the way it did, i would have gone along! I would be keen for a meet up anyway though, compare cars and stuff :D

Winter wars is on the 3rd of June, I was up in Hamilton not long ago. Was going to text you but think it was a week day or something haha.

$1500 mate, Im wreaking the VP if you need anything. I have my auto box to that I want to get rid of too. Shift kitted etc serviced and flushed 20,000k ago. Towed the VP back from Tokoroa no problem at all.

Jaymz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec 1996, VS SS 1996
Winter wars is on the 3rd of June, I was up in Hamilton not long ago. Was going to text you but think it was a week day or something haha.

$1500 mate, Im wreaking the VP if you need anything. I have my auto box to that I want to get rid of too. Shift kitted etc serviced and flushed 20,000k ago. Towed the VP back from Tokoroa no problem at all.

Sweet as, that was a good price for it, especially for the manual gear. I am on the lookout for a pedal box and center console at the moment.

Unfortunately i dont think i have much use for anything off the VP, unless the ash trays are still in the car (the front one of mine has a crack in it and the rear one also has a small chip out of the side)

Definately keen for a catch up at either the drags, or i could come for a road trip over to the BOP.

I work 8.30am to 5pm, so if you are over this way again, you should pop in for a beer and a chat :)

What are your next plans for the VS?