Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS SS - a future classic?

VPFreak

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Hi all,

I’m contemplating buying a VS SS, and I am wondering what you’re thoughts are on the VS SS increasing in value over the next few years.

Are they still too “young” to be considered a classic soon?

My situation is I own a 2010 VE SV6 which I love as a car with all the mod cons. I only drive it a few times a year as I work in the city and take public transport, and other times we usually take the “family car” which my misses uses also daily.

I’m thinking of selling the VE because it is actually losing value every year and having something in the garage that will appreciate over time.

I’ve always wanted a VS SS, and thought that it could be a good option?

Appreciate any thoughts?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I personally feel that any Holden V8 in good order will appreciate as no more V8's are coming into the country apart from the Camaro, and that remains to be seen if that lasts very long as the Mustang sales have now dropped off with everyone who wants one has got one. Very similar to when the Monaro second generation came out. At first everyone was loving and buying them and later they were called just another 2 door Dunnydoor with production ending during VZ.

I've always felt that the VR and VS SS were a blatant rip off by Holden when all you really got was a V8 engine in an Executive and nothing more. The instrument cluster is nothing short of a joke, truthfully ugly. It should've at least had a Level 3 cluster fitted and climate control as well.

If your VE is in good nick then I'd keep on driving it as it's past the dreaded May 18 2008 engine build date where they had failing timing chains etc. Honestly if looked after the VE is a rather nice vehicle to drive as a daily. Every daily is certain to lose money, but that's what you paid for, "a car to use".

If there's one certain thing that you'll lose money on,

it's anything with T$#s or wheels on it, oh sorry that's two things. Now that I think of it you can add Horses, Computers and Consumer Electronics.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
IMO VT HSV’s are a better future ‘classic’ than the vr/vs SS’. They’re still cheap, and great value for money. Better performance than older models and are nicer to drive. But it just depends on what you really want.

When they get close to club reg age, prices seem to soar.

Smithston

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt ss 5.0
Hi all,

I’m contemplating buying a VS SS, and I am wondering what you’re thoughts are on the VS SS increasing in value over the next few years.

Are they still too “young” to be considered a classic soon?

My situation is I own a 2010 VE SV6 which I love as a car with all the mod cons. I only drive it a few times a year as I work in the city and take public transport, and other times we usually take the “family car” which my misses uses also daily.

I’m thinking of selling the VE because it is actually losing value every year and having something in the garage that will appreciate over time.

I’ve always wanted a VS SS, and thought that it could be a good option?

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
I've always felt that the VR and VS SS were a blatant rip off by Holden when all you really got was a V8 engine in an Executive and nothing more. The instrument cluster is nothing short of a joke, truthfully ugly. It should've at least had a Level 3 cluster fitted and climate control as well.

Not a fan of the VS 'vs-lover'? Lol.

In truth, the SS was always meant to be a basic sports sedan to keep weight low and performance high. If it was loaded with features many would've lambasted it for being too heavy. Sometimes I think Holden was damned if they did and damned if they didn't with regard to specifications/features/price on certain models.

Hell, there's a guy in another section who is grumpy at Holden that his new VF didn't have a particular feature that was available in another VF variant for similar money. How is it Holden's fault he bought the wrong model?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Guide to making money on old commodores:
1) Figure out which exact models the 'boy racers' of 20 years ago were driving at the time (generally the cheapest variant with the most power. i.e. SS').
2) Purchase said car, wait 3-5 years and sell for a 300%+ profit as the old blokes get caught up in the nostalgia and the cars become eligible for club reg :p

bill91817

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS manual
I bought a VR ss for that reason (future classic) - I have an original (and by that I mean needs full restore!) SS torana hatch (bought in 2003) - got laughed out of the pub when I told my mates that they would one day go up in value... tick tick tick!
The VR is not quite the same as the LX hatch in terms of production numbers or style change - it was however a change in direction for Holden in terms of IRS (yes yes I know the VP's had it too), the first Commodore to have ABS (toot toot Mercedes introduced in 1978!!) and first to have the airbag - I agree with comments above - the SS was just a red plastic strip in the bumper and some rubbish stitching on the seats but - for anyone searching for a V8 - they are something different and decreasing in numbers rapidly because most have been wrapped around trees or modified to the point of no return
If you are going to get one - try and find a manual , there were not as many and they are more fun to drive :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I don't believe the VS SS will ever achieve classic status in the same way early Monaros, Torana Hatchbacks or XU-1s have, because they were so little altered from their roots and were produced in reasonably large numbers. And frankly, IMO, they are hardly memorable models in the manner of the true classic.

They will achieve status with time because of age and diminishing numbers, but classic? Doubt it.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The thing with the 70's classics is that they had racetrack pedigree / history.

A VS SS does not.