Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS will not do a burn out

Can you do a burnout in your VS?

• Yes & Im Male

Votes: 47 82.5%
  • Yes & Im Female

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • No & Im Male

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • No & Im Female

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters

MBS206

Reaction score
96vscommodore said:
wjat would the cost be to remove IRS and get live axcel?
It's approximately $10 000

And the REAL fact is, is that IRS will actually do a burnout EASIER compared to live axle.
Most people choose, in a race setup, to run live axle instead of IRS. The simple factor for this:

Live axle works such that, if you push one wheel up, the other wheel gets pushed down. On IRS, push one wheel up, the other stays the same scratching it's balls...

So what actually happens when you start a burnout, is the wheel "kicks up" off the ground (literally) and starts to spin. Now, in a live axle car, you push one wheel up, the other wants to go down, the problem being, the other tyre can't move down, and it's not enough force to actually lift the car up enough. Therefore, the force the SHOULD be pushing the opposite wheel down, is now being spent, pushing the original wheel down.

In an IRS car, the original wheel kicks up, and there is no force except for gravity and that of the spring, to push it back down.

Okay, someone said ABS "levels" the car, and pulling the fuse will stop this. This is actually a load of horse ****.
ABS is anti-lock braking system, hence, it is used to stop the vehicle "skidding" under brakes. What actually happens is that when the vehicle senses a wheel "locking" it pulsates the line pressure giving an "on-off" push on the brakes which actually prevents brakes locking up. Absolutely nothing about LEVELLING the car out. And if you have ABS, and it kicks in, you'll know about it, your brake pedal will give your foot a nice massage (IT VIBRATES!)

Holden007 summed it up best I think, "Some of US can."
Basically, it's all coming down to driver in my opinion. I haven't yet found a commodore, that couldn't spin the wheels! I watched a mates one actually pull a first/second WITH TRACTION CONTROL!

So in conclusion:
IRS will actually make it easier.
Auto being in good nick/partially shagged will still allow a good stand still.

To who ever said there car won't do them (The thread creator) bring your car to me, and I'll give it a burl. If it won't, I'll give you $20, and openly admit I'm wrong.

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
hmmm ok well i got it going on a speed hump teh other day so maby its just that my brakes are gripping to much or not enuf. il giv it another atempt. would ABS effect standstills in anyway?

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
My old VS S1 Executive spun them np problems. brake and accelerator method.

with:

15" Rims
16" Rims
18" Rims

Auto aswell, tyre fryer it was.

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
abs has nothing to do with burnouts as mentioned above it doesnt make a difference with or without fuse, the only thing that would, would be traction control

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
hmm nto 2 worry then cause myn dosnt have TC

BeastVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5L
i have a VS acclaim with IRS and its auto, still on stock wheels and it has no problems pouring out smoke on the spot or around corners.

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
Maybe we should put a voting pole:

Who can do a burnout...

Who can't...

So we can see a percentage and may come to a conclusion that maybe the driver can't do it.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
holden007 said:
Maybe we should put a voting pole:

Who can do a burnout...

Who can't...

So we can see a percentage and may come to a conclusion that maybe the driver can't do it.

Poll is up :)

Torquen

Boost FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
450+ HP FORD XR6T
just out of intrests i know it has been said that it makes no diff but in the poll put wether your car is live axcel or IRS

holden007

VRII
Reaction score
Members Ride
Subaru Liberty
96vscommodore said:
just out of intrests i know it has been said that it makes no diff but in the poll put wether your car is live axcel or IRS

From the looks of it, it doesnt matter.