Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Calais 5L wont start

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
UPDATE!!!

I went for a good drive today down to my nans and back (45mins each way) and the car drove fine on the way down, didnt have a problem at all, but on the way back just after i left nan's house the engine light came on, i decided to just keep goin and see how it goes. The tacho was bouncing like the other day even though the revs were steady, the temp gauge stopped working and the instantaneous fuel reading wasnt working and like the other day the first thing to happen was the fan cut in 1 minute after start up, the car itself drove perfectly, except for the parts of the dash that werent working you wouldnt even be able to tell there was an issue, about half way home the engine light turned off and all the dash started working again and the fan went back to operating normally and it was perfect the rest of the way home. When i got home i turned the car off and checked the error codes and this time it showed code 36 (vacuum leak) and code 92 (low speed fault). So im thinking the low speed fan fault might be the relay or something? and ill have to go and get it checked for a vacuum leak or is there i simple way i can do it at home?

sicksix

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 98 hsv clubsport
my mechanic found that thet bcm was at fault for the central locking not working. he tapped it and it worked.and tapped it again and it stopped working so i got a new bcm 813 mid from holden for $180 new.now that just fixed the central locking .ok so because the car was randomly not starting that was to do with the key head. the immobilizer was cutting the engine out as i was starting it because there was something wrong with the key head. even though this key head was a new one. he had a locksmith make up another one and he first tried my old key and it still wouldn't start but when he started the new head key, it kicked over straight away. i haven't had any starting issues with it since.
i believe that codes 92, and 31 were both related to the key head and the bcm. my code 35 was related to my airbag light coming on. so now im just trying to work out why my airbag light is coming on. my mechanic said that i might have to clean the plugs for the airbag seat pre tention. i dont think that the clock spring needs to be replaced behind the steering wheel.so i hope this helps anyone .

sicksix

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 98 hsv clubsport
for code 36 you can check the hoses between the throttle body and the maf sensor for cracks blockages and misalignment causing blockage .

sicksix

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 98 hsv clubsport
my mechanic found that thet bcm was at fault for the central locking not working. he tapped it and it worked.and tapped it again and it stopped working so i got a new bcm 813 mid from holden for $180 new.now that just fixed the central locking .ok so because the car was randomly not starting that was to do with the key head. the immobilizer was cutting the engine out as i was starting it because there was something wrong with the key head. even though this key head was a new one. he had a locksmith make up another one and he first tried my old key and it still wouldn't start but when he started the new head key, it kicked over straight away. i haven't had any starting issues with it since.
i believe that codes 92, and 31 were both related to the key head and the bcm. my code 35 was related to my airbag light coming on. so now im just trying to work out why my airbag light is coming on. my mechanic said that i might have to clean the plugs for the airbag seat pre tention. i dont think that the clock spring needs to be replaced behind the steering wheel.so i hope this helps anyone .

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Thats interesting mate, thanks for letting me know how you went.

Ever since the other day i havent had any issues, so i got no idea, but im starting to think it might be the BCM, i got a couple of brake lights to fix and my horn has stopped working so once i get them fixed ill look into getting the BCM looked at.

sicksix

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 98 hsv clubsport
yer cool i had a mate and his horn was not working so i had a look at it and found a fuse was blown. so i changed it. and it blow right away so i found out that he punched the steering wheel lol at some stage so we got a 2nd hand steering wheel and it fixed the problem .ow and some times the 2 wires that go to the horn can come off. so check that first .and the cost to get my car fixed cost me $670 i had the ignition barrel replaced as the steering wheel was not locking.and bcm and new key head plus labor so sometimes you just have to pay the price .if you do get a new bcm you will have to get a new key done as the old one wont work with the new bcm.my mechanic had a key made up before replacing the bcm so had to pay for another key to be done thats why it cost abit more .i didnt mine paying as he has looked after me in the past.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
Thats it ay mate, when you get a good mechanic you stay with em.

I fixed my brake lights and the horn and my little engine light problem still hasnt happened since last time.

I got the quote back from the mechanic to replace the steering rack and high pressure hose for $950 so that will be my next thing, then i have to get the a/c compressor replaced. :(

sicksix

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt 98 hsv clubsport
Thats it ay mate, when you get a good mechanic you stay with em.

I fixed my brake lights and the horn and my little engine light problem still hasnt happened since last time.

I got the quote back from the mechanic to replace the steering rack and high pressure hose for $950 so that will be my next thing, then i have to get the a/c compressor replaced. :(

i got my rack and power steering pump replaced and engine mounts for $950 thats with all the labor you should get another quote sounds abit hi.a steering rack should only cost 200 at the most.thats like $750 for labor.thats like when i went to get a new radiator from repco and they told me $600 so i found a place called motor kool and got a new radiator for 149 new it pays to look around.

vscalais951

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VS Ute V6 Auto
I was told it would cost $550 for the rack, $75 for the high pressure hose, and the rest was oil and labour.

Ill look into it more when i get some spare time, i havent had much of a chance yet.