Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT Series 1 Strut Tower.

Old Timer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive S1
Just to keep everyone up to date, still waiting for copy of original quote after the accident that was promised by the Insurance Company. They said would be sent within a couple of days, that was now 12 days ago. Emailed them on Friday morning but no reply by end of business day. Looks like I get on the phone again come Tuesday.

Some VTs and VXs did have problems with the towers separating, hence why upper-spec'd VYs and VZs got strut braces standard.

I'll try and find out the details tomorrow at work.

Old Timer, I think your car maybe a case of both.

Umai Naa, did you find any details, one way or the other ??

Thanks to all who have replied so far, will keep you informed.

Old Timer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive S1
Back at last.
I finally received a copy of the original repair quote (from Sept 03).
Now I need one you Panel Beaters on this forum to translate it for me.
As I've previously said, the majority of the damage was on the LH Front which was fairly badly damaged but the radiator was not among "repaired" or "replaced" so the damage was on the extreme LH corner.

The quote is the normal Remove and Replace items, Repair items, Paint cost,
Parts required etc.. After the Subtotal cost there is an additional item for "Repair Additional 1."

In the first "Repair" section is - N/S Skirt 6.4 hours and N/S Rail 3.2 hours.

Is this "Panel Beater Speak" for what I would call Subframe and inner guard??

As far as I would think "Skirt" is the panel under the doors (Sill Panel) and that was not damaged. It's a throw away part anyhow.

In the "Repair Additional 1." section- is N/S/F Skirt Brace 3.0 hours.

It's interesting that the cost to the Insurance Company was the amount of the Subtotal before the "Repair Additional" so I assume that was not done.

Just as a matter of interest here are three photos of the cracking, including the cracking where the "Inner Guard" meets the Firewall.

All I would like to know really is, does "Skirt and Rail" equal "Subframe and
Inner Guard" ??

Thanks.

Attachments

• commodore#1.jpg
    commodore#1.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 991
  • commodore#2.jpg
    commodore#2.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • commodore#3.jpg
    commodore#3.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 906

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
I had similar issues after a smash and AAMI came to the party big time. You just have to keep pushing.

I said mine was a quality issue and they jumper luckily for me and my car.

$9000 initial repair bill and $3000 fix up after the original repairs came unstuck.

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
ouch... those cracks look nasty!

If I were you I would be on the phone every day to the insurance company. That cannot be safe. Tell them they have a week to sort it out and then you're going to the authorities. Sounds like you've been stuffed around enough already.

Old Timer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive S1
Things are looking up.

Appointment for re-assessment early next week.

Will keep in touch.

Old Timer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 Executive S1
What a difference a week makes.
I had been dealing with a Sydney Suburban Branch of AAMI, and when I rang them last the bloke I'd been talking to for however many weeks had gone home early. Who ever I spoke to in his absence listened to my story, took a couple of details, transferred me to Newcastle Branch (closer to where I live).

Result, car was inspected this morning by the experts, goes up there on Wednesday for repairs.

No problems, no arguments, no discussions, just a matter of "yep, looks like it needs to be fixed".

Life is good.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Back at last.
As I've previously said, the majority of the damage was on the LH Front which was fairly badly damaged but the radiator was not among "repaired" or "replaced" so the damage was on the extreme LH corner.

Parts required etc.. After the Subtotal cost there is an additional item for "Repair Additional 1."

As far as I would think "Skirt" is the panel under the doors (Sill Panel) and that was not damaged. It's a throw away part anyhow.

It's interesting that the cost to the Insurance Company was the amount of the Subtotal before the "Repair Additional" so I assume that was not done.

Just as a matter of interest here are three photos of the cracking, including the cracking where the "Inner Guard" meets the Firewall.

Inner Guard" ??

Thanks.
Old post but those are cracked seam sealer as well. There is only spot welds holding those panels.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Back at last.

Inner Guard" ??

Thanks.
The repair for this would be in the area of $50-$300 for labour, maybe $500 if paint is included. $50 for the seam sealer. $250 for the labour and an extra 1.5hrs for labour to paint the new seam sealer, taking it to about $500-ish.
There is no metal welds there. This explains why:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vx-commodore-strut-towers.299114/page-2#post-3342477