Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VX Commodore Service How To Detailed

DavesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Push the fuel line towards the fuel filter as far as you can then hold the two retaining tabs tight then pull "the fuel line" not the connectors/tabs "the fuel line" off the filter, if the fuel line is pushed in and the tabs don't move voila. Takes 2 seconds per side no tools no connectors just 2 hands

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Be Sure the system is depressurised it makes it much easier mate.

DavesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Yeah that too, last one I did got fuel in me eye wouldn't advise it :/ burns

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
Very good thread. I have a question.

When I first got my VX commodore about 2 months ago, I replaced the leads, the spark plugs, the oil filter (New oil of course), did pretty much everything above (Including air filter) except for the fuel filter (If I'm honest, I was used to working on a CM Valiant... Aaaaaand I couldn't find the fuel filter :p). But I am having the same problem as when I first baught it: **** fuel economy.

Shes an EX undercover car, so has the chip and such (Though I know for a fact they are supposed to return BETTER fuel economy then stock), shocks breaks. All the good crap.

To give you an Idea of how bad it is, stop starting I will only get around 400K's to a tank. Traveling from NSW to QLD I got about 650-700 (So its ok on the HWY but it should be better, around 6.6 - 7.5 according to the internet, where as mine is 10l/100k)

When it iddels it sounds a little bit rough. normaly this would be sweet, in the val you just fiddle with the dizzy till you get that perfect awesomly sexy idle... But Commodores don't have Dizzys.

Any ideas? Its costing me an arm and a leg to run and I don't have the money to get it serviced because all my spare money goes on freeking fuel!

Could the front fan belt have anything to do with it? It seems a bit worn (Like cracks in the rubber), but surely that can't cause it?

Pwease hewlp me ^_^

the police chip is aphallacy I am afraid,if it has a chip it would be aftermarket not the police chip,
there are many many posts on here explaining this and what was done,i have a vz highway patrol car and other you listed the motor is stock,just lsd selector is different and a few less creature comforts over the ss sold to the public,still love it thou

sorry again

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Sedan / VE International Sportwagon
I similarly have really bad fuel economy. I'm between 400-500 km's per tank. Never over 500. I'm mixed stop start and highway driving. I've done pretty much everything I can think of to the car with little returns in economy gains. I would love to reach 600kms per tank but it ain't happening right now. Any further suggestions? Also, my car has never been a cop car :p

Woody_SS

Defective User
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
http://www.environment.gov.au/settlements/transport/fuelguide/search.html

Here is website that seems to show real consumption.

VX SS - most I've seen say around 13/100. This website has it at 14.5 which seems to be more realistic as I get 14 around canberra which really isn't city driving

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
regarding fuel economy,i have a ls1 vz auto which in the time I have had it averages around 12-14litres per hundred mixed highway and city,on the open road I get around 10 litres per hundred,all depends on where you drive,how you drive and the fuel you use,i get fuel from different petrol stations and my economy change vary quite a bit,the stations do something to thin it out imo

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
http://www.environment.gov.au/settlements/transport/fuelguide/search.html
1998 Holden VT Commodore Executive Auto. Sedan 4dr auto Sedan
City Consumption = 11.5 litres per 100km travelled
Highway Consumption = 6.8 litres per 100km travelled
NOTE: While the guide does provide a reliable comparison of the fuel consumption of different vehicles, you may experience different results depending on driving conditions and the condition of the vehicle.

I work out mine to be roughly 14.58 litres per 100km travelled, based on average 480kms per tank at 70 litres per tank of fuel.
I'm reckoning something needs fixing.
I calculated it with this website: L/100km Fuel Consumption Calculator / L/100 km Fuel Efficiency ( litres per 100 km) Calculate Liters/100 km Calculation Chart / Table

Might throw a stock exhaust back on it see what happens.

peterlonz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Interesting that you advise a resistance check on the plug leads.
If the variation between left & right bank is as large as suggested does that not imply that the resistance is not a good guide to when to replace>
Anyway just what are we to measure with the DMM?
Plug contact connection to earth??
More info needed please.

djdomohudson

Mad frogs
Reaction score
Members Ride
To follow up, when I put the stock exhaust back on it the mileage went up and lasted almost 100kms more per tank.