Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vx ss starts then dies.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Gidday, recently Ive been having issues with my vx ss 6 speed manual with a fairly stock ls1. Several times on turning the key to start it the revs will raise as they always do it will fire and start then as the revs drop back down to idle it just shuts off no splutter or anything it just dies just like there is suddenly no fuel or spark. It doesn't matter if its hot or cold and sometimes takes several goes to start.
On every other occasion it starts first time and idles beautifully but It has started playing up more frequently also sometimes 30secs or so after starting to drive theres a click like the doors unlocking but no button has been pressed and they are already unlocked.
Has anyone else had this happen? Im thinking maybe bcm/immobiliser problem but would really appreciate other opinions on how to sort it out. Cheers.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
hate chasing down electrical probs ..yuk
most likely bcm / ecu / imobiliser fault
idle control valve / fuel filter /fuel pump/ are way off guesses
codes would help you before throwing parts at the car

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Next time it starts and dies, look on the dash and see if the little red padlock is flashing. If it is the alarm/immobilizer is still active when it shouldn't be. Hence why it starts then dies straight away. Most likely a PCM or BCM fault.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
hate chasing down electrical probs ..yuk
most likely bcm / ecu / imobiliser fault
idle control valve / fuel filter /fuel pump/ are way off guesses
codes would help you before throwing parts at the car

Yep I agree mate its doing my head in. Its not throwing a code when it does it thats why im trying to sort my way through all the possibilitys lol. I thought it could be a fuel issue but its not even a miss it just dies like there is nothing at all so im not sure. My fuel gauge is way off too so I think the sender is stuffed so ill replace the pump with that and see what happens.

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Next time it starts and dies, look on the dash and see if the little red padlock is flashing. If it is the alarm/immobilizer is still active when it shouldn't be. Hence why it starts then dies straight away. Most likely a PCM or BCM fault.
Ok cheers mate ill do that next time it does it its getting a lot more frequent, ive read posts on resoldering contacts on the circuit board inside the bcm and that helping but ive got access to a scan tool so I might just get another one and link it up.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
Probably just the contacts around your key barrel, as mentioned check for the flashing red light. Really common problem - a mod should sticky a good thread on this topic, it comes up all the time!!!

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
I took the key surround off last weekend mate and it all looks ok I think when the key doesn't contact properly it dosent even turn over it just goes to reds then next click just nothing.
It did it again this evening a couple of times (started then died) on the suggestion of a mate I locked and unlocked the doors and it started fine but if I just keep trying to start it without using the key fob to lock/unlock the doors it takes several times to start.

kjc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SSII
I had a very similar issue. Mine turned out to be a faulty oil pressure switch

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
I took the key surround off last weekend mate and it all looks ok I think when the key doesn't contact properly it dosent even turn over it just goes to reds then next click just nothing.
It did it again this evening a couple of times (started then died) on the suggestion of a mate I locked and unlocked the doors and it started fine but if I just keep trying to start it without using the key fob to lock/unlock the doors it takes several times to start.

It's the key contacts around the barrel. When you use the lock/unlock remote it disarms the immobiliser for 30 seconds, so you can start it even if the key contacts are dodgy. After 30 sec the immob re-arms, and they key contacts have to be working properly to disarm it. Try cleaning the contacts around the barrel and the nipple on the key, and try bending the contacts outward slightly (if you have the old style with 2 seperate contacts, rather than a continious ring like the newer ones).

Ses

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt exec 5ltr s1
Thanks mate you were spot on the money. I bent the contacts out a little bit and it hasn't done it since thanks very much for your help. I owe you a beer lol.