Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[General] [VY/VZ] Everything to know about Changing Clusters!

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Sounds like you took the cluster from a different series Monaro eg Series 1 or 2. Putting the wrong series cluster in a car causes the cluster petrol gauge to work in the wrong direction (read the programming section!). Cant simply fix this with a diagnostic tool. Needs custom programming to sort the fuel gauge out.

*Note, as Iv found out.. (the hard way) there are some clusters that refuse the series swap configuration and go haywire!. Although this seems to only happen in a very small amount of clusters that I have dealt with. Only way to fix is to swap the fuel sender with the correct series sender![/SIZE=1]

Thanks for the info, it is a difficult one, the guy I bought it off swears its from the same 2004 series as mine, and they both have the grey plug socket on the cluster, would you recommend giving up on it? I have put my original back in now so I know what fuel I have. Strangely when I do the system test with the new cluster all the gauges, including fuel go to half way as they should.

Are you in Clontarf, Redcliffe, QLD?

I have a cluster that me and TazzI know for damn sure is a series 1, we can test it if you like just to make sure it is the wrong series. I'm out at Deception Bay, so if you want to come around some time after midday, send me a PM either your mobile number or something and I will get back to you. But tomorrow is the only day I know I will be home. Tomorrow as in Tuesday.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
2004 is a series 2, so if that configuration doesnt work, then acarmody's spare calais cluster will suit your car since it will be a S1 fuel configuration.

To be certain. Plug in your original cluster, have a full tank and open up the engineer mode (same mode you use to do the system test), and look up the "fuel ohms". This should tell you if its S1 or S2 fuel config you have. (by the sounds its a S1)
A S1 fuel config will have around 250ish ohms reading at full.
A S2 config will be 40-65ish ohms reading at full.

SVTato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz SV6 with statesman/caprice front end.
Are you going to release this programming software?

SVTato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Roughly how much?

SVTato

Reaction score
Members Ride
Woo hoo I would love a Calais cluster or grange, by any chance would you be able to post pics of all the different vy-vz clusters?

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Woo hoo I would love a Calais cluster or grange, by any chance would you be able to post pics of all the different vy-vz clusters?

I thought about adding some pictures in.. although itll just add more bulkiness to the thread.

Simply typing VY cluster or VZ cluster into google brings up all the different cluster types and images anyway!

Personally not a big fan of the Grange clusters.. Seem weird with circle windows. Much prefer the berlina/calias clusters, in particular the lvl3 cluster with the satin lining around gauges and needles plus there about a 3rd the price.

Heath

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SENATOR
Hi.
I have a VY S1 HSV Senator.
I have the SRS error appear when the car is started and the SRS warning light in the corner stays on after.
So far I have not been able to find any mechanic or autoelec, including Kelly HSV, that can reset it and it also displays no error codes when scanned.
Holden could only narrow it to possible cluster issue.

I took the car to a gauge expert shop who did their thing and told me they could not reset it but told me they could read some error codes leading them to possible cluster or BCM fault.
My car was re-trimmed while owned by the previous owner which means the trimmer had removed the seats and wheel thus meaning the airbag was disconnected.
I have also discovered my cluster serial and VIN do not match. No one else seems to have heard about this match rule.

I am getting very irritated by this but seem to be narrowing it down each time.
I am now thinking I may need to simply get my cluster re-reprogrammed since it might not have been done correctly or at all if it was changed previously.
Short of that if it doesn't work I might need to get a new cluster maybe?

Would simply removing my cluster with a disconnected battery and leaving it for a while and putting it back in possibly do anything?

Also, is there any way to check my cars kms reading somewhere other then the cluster?
Because if this is not my original cluster I am concerned the kms may be incorrect for my car???

Any possible help or advice would great help.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
If a different cluster has been fitted to the car but the wrong SRS configuration is set it will display a SRS error that can't be cleared until the right setup is programmed. THis should have been easy enough to fix with a Tech2 by anyone competant in its use, so that rules out most Holden Techs.

This is what your cluster should look like,

0105mnl_20.jpeg

if it doesn't match that then it might be the problem. If it is the same, then I imagine that all HSVs have the same 6-loop airbag config, so it might not be the problem.

Last edited: