Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ Alarm/Key Issues

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
i know this thread is old but my sv6 is doing the same sorta thing you press the lock or unlock the lights flash but the doors dont lock or unlock after about 5 minutes it works again anybody got any ideas as my son got stuck in there for a couple of minutes dont wont to drive it now dont wont to risk it again???

adamc11

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VE SS V Z M6
The issue the OP mentioned has happened to me before. The key decides not to unlock, then i open the door with the key and the alarm goes off. I assume the keys battery is dead, so I get my spare key which then worked. I try my original key, and it works, and has for months... which means battery wasn't dead.

Also...
If i lock+deadlock and unlock my car over and over again, it eventually decides to stop responding when in an unlocked state. The lights flash but the locks do nothing. I then have to start the car (turning ignition on won't fix it, i have to start the engine). It then works fine, until i lock+unlock repeatedly :)
Could someone else try this and let me know if they have this problem?

danny1987

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore sedan
Also...
If i lock+deadlock and unlock my car over and over again, it eventually decides to stop responding when in an unlocked state. The lights flash but the locks do nothing. I then have to start the car (turning ignition on won't fix it, i have to start the engine). It then works fine, until i lock+unlock repeatedly :)
Could someone else try this and let me know if they have this problem?

mine does it as well but mine does it also without pressing it over and over just when u unlock

toey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it's relevant to my question and I wanted to keep everything in one place for future reference.

Anyway, my dad uses the car most of the time, but we have two keys. He has one and I have one. The one I have is a spare and we got it from those key cutting stores. Both worked perfectly fine.

Then one day he tells me the buttons on his key are deteriorating (I bought replacement buttons before, and so tried to replace them again but this time didn't work), so I gave him my spare and had made another spare for myself.

However, the new spare that I have now works in odd ways - if I want to use it, I can't unlock the car with the buttons. I have to stick the key in the door lock to open the door, which sets off the alarm, and I can only shut it off once I put the key in the ignition. From then on, I can lock/unlock using the buttons.

But after I return the car to my dad, the same problem happens to HIS key now, where he can only unlock it by sticking it in the door, having the alarm go off etc. Now each time we alternate use of the car, we have this problem.

Does anyone know what went wrong or how I can fix this?

generic_kezza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS UTE
Hey kinda sounds like your new key has been loaded into the same key as your dads so they are both trying to keep synced to the same bcm key slot there are something like 5 keys able to be loaded at a time i would take it to holden so they can check through your bcm for keys and make sure they are all loading into seperate slots

toey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hey kinda sounds like your new key has been loaded into the same key as your dads so they are both trying to keep synced to the same bcm key slot there are something like 5 keys able to be loaded at a time i would take it to holden so they can check through your bcm for keys and make sure they are all loading into seperate slots

Hey thanks mate, that sounds logical, I will look into it!

MorganBell

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Commodore Lumina
My partners old 03 VY used to do it randomly, he never ended up finding the cause

Silverbird

(Blake)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Station Wagon
Hey I had a problem getting into my car Monday morning last week, and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it?

I had just been away for about 10 days and was about to hop into my car to go to work on a very cold morning.

So pressed the unlock button on my key...nothing happened.

Tried again, still nothing. Tried all the buttons several times, none of my buttons worked.

So instead of going back inside to get the spare key I used the key to unlock the doors and it opened no worries....then the alarm came on.

So I frantically press buttons on my key, but to no avail.

Eventually, I just put the key in the ignition, turned it over and the alarm stopped and the engine started.

I then turned the engine off and removed the key...and everything worked fine again.

So what caused it?

I have a theory, and being an Electrical Engineer, I think its plausible:

My theory is that being away from my car and not putting the key in the ignition wouldn't have charged the battery inside the key. Therefore the battery would have depleted and the key wasn't able to send a signal to disarm the car. So when i put the key in the ignition, the circuit was completed and the key battery was charged.

I am probably wrong, but I think it might be something to do with the battery.

Any other ideas?

It hasn't faulted since and its the first fault on my car since I bought it in March this year.

Just been reading suggestions from the other members - some very good ideas there. My suggestion - based largely on what others are saying, monitor it and see what happens over a month. Maybe rotate the use of your regular and spare key.

luke02

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Hey was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my problem its similar to this.

Woke up in the morning I pressed the unlock button on my key but didnt work. I then unlocked the door with the key and opened the door and the alarm went off. So I put the key in the ignition turned the key its turning over but wont start.

ive tried disconnecting the battery but didnt work.

Any ideas of whats wrong?