Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SS-6 litre motor or the old 5.7litre???

Status
Not open for further replies.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
The L76 is the 6.0L used in the VZ, the L98 the 6L used in the VE as stated by Minux. Running gear is not the same between just because its a 6L. The VE got a 6 speed auto and improved manual transmissions also and a new and more efficient diff that also reduced fuel economy and an engine control system with digital sensors for crank and camshaft positions. The major engine change was the removal of the DOD hardware though, most of the power and torque increases are courtesy of the exhaust.

As for 5.7L vs 6.0L in the VZ, the 6.0L is a much better engine. Better power delivery, more refined, better on fuel, more power.

miniac_beater

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS CALAIS SII
The L76 is the 6.0L used in the VZ, the L98 the 6L used in the VE as stated by Minux. Running gear is not the same between just because its a 6L. The VE got a 6 speed auto and improved manual transmissions also and a new and more efficient diff that also reduced fuel economy and an engine control system with digital sensors for crank and camshaft positions. The major engine change was the removal of the DOD hardware though, most of the power and torque increases are courtesy of the exhaust.

As for 5.7L vs 6.0L in the VZ, the 6.0L is a much better engine. Better power delivery, more refined, better on fuel, more power.

ok all clear now. thanks for that guys.
whats the DOD?

looking at a VZ SS ute in NSW... 09/2006 hot red with VE SS wheels on it. looks pretty good.
just hope i get no drama at regency like i did with my s6 rx7.. they killed me down there when i went to do the transfer from nsw plates to sa.. n they ****ed me over..
anyway WAY off topic... whats the DOD? lol

thanks again guys been a great help

Amer

StevieP

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SS 6L
Just to confuse you more from the end of 06 to i believe around may the SS utes came out with the same engine as the VE the L98, definately go for the 6L better all round and respond better to mods

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok all clear now. thanks for that guys.
whats the DOD?

looking at a VZ SS ute in NSW... 09/2006 hot red with VE SS wheels on it. looks pretty good.
just hope i get no drama at regency like i did with my s6 rx7.. they killed me down there when i went to do the transfer from nsw plates to sa.. n they ****ed me over..
anyway WAY off topic... whats the DOD? lol

thanks again guys been a great help

Amer

DOD is Displacement On Demand... Holden/GM's name for engine hardware that shuts down cylinders when not needed... i.e. The V8 will run on 4 cylinders around town to save fuel. It was never used, but the hardware was still in the engine in the L76, and for the L98 they decided to completely remove the hardware as it isn't being used anyway.

OLS108

MR Helpful
Reaction score
Members Ride
Stockish VX Berlina
Just to confuse you more from the end of 06 to i believe around may the SS utes came out with the same engine as the VE the L98, definately go for the 6L better all round and respond better to mods

You are indeed correct, some VZ's had the L98

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Is that definite that the Utes got the L98 when the VE was released? There were and are till L76 engines around, they use them in the Pontiac G8 exports with the DOD activated I believe.

Most sources I read only mention the L76 as the only 6L engine used? For instance:

Engines:
3.6L V6: Alloytec
3.6L V6: Alloytec - Adventra (From 1/1/2006)
3.6L V6: Alloytec 190
5.7L V8: Gen III LS1 235kW V8 (Discontinued 31/12/2005)
5.7L V8: High Output 250kW V8 (Discontinued 31/12/2005)
5.7L V8: High Output 260kW V8 (Discontinued 31/12/2005)
6.0L V8: Gen IV L76 260kW V8 (Introduced 1/1/2006)

Also the VZ utes never got the matching transmissions... They never got the 6 speed auto that the L98 is matched to, and they never received the upgraded 6 speed manual either as used in VE.

miniac_beater

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS CALAIS SII
ok now im very confused lol
it makes sense about the L76 motor coz i have read that the VZ only had the L76 motors. but in saying that there r a couple of cars being sold and the seller is stating that there VZ SS (09/2006 onwards) had the ve running gear so still not to clear on all that.

as for the 6 speed gearbox that the VZ had, are they not reliable? or did the VE just had the slight improvement? what difference is there between them?

Amer

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
can the VE 6 speed auto gear box be placed on the VZ SS 6lt? shouldn't the bell housings the same?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
ok now im very confused lol
it makes sense about the L76 motor coz i have read that the VZ only had the L76 motors. but in saying that there r a couple of cars being sold and the seller is stating that there VZ SS (09/2006 onwards) had the ve running gear so still not to clear on all that.

as for the 6 speed gearbox that the VZ had, are they not reliable? or did the VE just had the slight improvement? what difference is there between them?

Amer

The VZ used the T56 manual on the V8's and the T56-M12 on the Monaro V8's. The VE also uses a T56 but it is a revised and re-strengthened version. Some bits and peices I have found but no exact details on the changes...
"The 6L80E will be offered alongside a substantially upgraded version of the proven Tremec T56 six-speed manual matched to the all-alloy 6.0L V8 powertrain."
“We have undertaken a significant upgrade to our trusted T56 six-speed manual transmission for the V8s” he said.
“We now have triple-synchronised capacity for first and second gears and double-synchronised for other gears, making shifts faster and smoother. We have matched this with a clutch engagement which has less peak effort, engages earlier and travels less.”
Shorter gear ratios – three to eight per cent overall
Increased synchroniser capacity in all gears:
1, 2 triple synchronised compared with VZ double synchronised
3, 4, 5, 6 double synchronised versus VZ single synchronised

As for auto's, it used only 4 speed auto's on the V8's... The 4L60e on most and the stronger 4L65e on the one tonners, crewmans and the monaro's. Neither of which are anywhere near as strong as the 6 speed auto. The 60 or 65 in the transmission designation is a strength or load rating for the box, so the 65 is stronger than 60 etc... The 6 speed used in the VE is a 6L80 so it is considerably stronger.

As both auto's and manuals are stronger in the VE range, you'd assume it is to suit the extra torque and power available from the VE L98 engine. The VZ transmissions will cope with the L76 but they'd be being pushed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.