Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 '04 - Transmission Problems

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Just in d with power shift always on. Never drive in normal shift

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Got the car back this afternoon, cost me $3669.02 all up.

Took for a decent 45km or so drive around Newcastle city & out towards Nelson Bay to see how she goes.

Much better than before and i can FINALLY reverse properly.

I have to check how it goes and bring it back to ATS at 1000km for a check over.

Will type out the itemized list tomorrow when at work.

2005SV6190

Reeco
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6 Commodore
Wow mate, you've been through hell and back with this auto and you haven't hulk smashed your car?

You are one patient man...

Just read your around the Newcastle area. I'm at Blackalls Park :)

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Well never got around to typing out a list, been busy working and trying to find a place to move (no luck yet).

The car is just below the 1000km to take back to ATS to get it checked.

So far, the transmission has been great, reverse works flawlessly and no more grinding or so.

However i have noticed when taking off quickly or taking off trying to get upto speed (eg. from stand still to 80km+) the car seems to go up gears quickly, it doesn't seem to use the available rev range, just seems really odd, but its hard knowing if its normal or odd considering the transmission has been buggered for quite some time and now fixed, i cannot remember what it was like exactly prior.

The car seems to be gutless at times, i can put my foot down and the car doesn't seem to notice, then it slowly creeps up then speeds off.

Not sure if this is normal and/or its because of the electronic throttle?

No error codes or so are given and OBD scan seem to put everything as 100% PASS.

I last night cleaned the MAF (as its never been done) and replaced the air filter, along with disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.

Guess i'll see how it goes this afternoon when i can get the car upto speed to test it.

Slipper

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VZ SV6 A5
disconnect the battery and leave it for a while, then reconnect and the computer will relearn the shift points to your driving style

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
disconnect the battery and leave it for a while, then reconnect and the computer will relearn the shift points to your driving style

I did that last night, removed terminals off battery for about 40mins.

Only drove to work this morning which is only about 5-10km up road so didn't get a chance to test it. Will see how it goes tonight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Well i tested it last night after work, it is so much more responsive and doesn't require you to put your foot down as much to get actually go, which is awesome.

Going from stuffed transmission to fixed transmission was great in performance now its even better.

I would never have thought a dirty MAF sensor would have such adverse effects.

06Calais

Keeps me Broke
Reaction score
Website
img717.imageshack.us
Members Ride
06 calais
I know Right? You dont have to look far in this forum alone to find countless stories of Neglectful or Incompetent or outright Ripp off Mechanics

When I was a Kid, I started work as a trade assistant for a mechanic in West Au. On my first or second day a lady brings her car in for a transmission service. My Boss "The Mechanic" Says to me: "Do you know what A Times guide is?" I reply "No" He then instructs me to go over to a book shelf where he keeps his manuals and wot not. While walking over to the book shelf I am thinking in my mind"Hmm, times guide, sounds like a list of ignition timing for all makes and models or something. LOL After I retrieve the book He tells me to look up the ladies Make & Model of car. He then says to me "In there is a list of every make and model of car retailed in Australia between blah blah year and blah blah year, and lists all the major jobs that are usually done with cars. It will take us about 2 hours to service this ladies Tranny, but if the times guide tells us we can Charge 10 hours labor, we charge 10 hours labor" I was Astonished, because this mechanic was actually a very nice guy.

That experience along with an RACQ / Local Mechanic trying to force me to give him my car and $1000 for two weeks while he change my Engine Head, while all it need was a thermostat or thermostat removed (was a KE 70 Corolla Wagon) and I then later removed thermostat, sealed up with liquid gasket and drove to Melbourne from QLD and back again without incident. Makes me not trust mechanics at all.

Which my Fear is a real shame, as I am certain there are some good mechanics out there, sadly I dont know how to find the ones you can trust. I mean how many stories do you hear about mechanics who have made you replace a tonne of stuff, only to find it was something else.

Someone needs to start a Website that reviews the work mechanics do, maybe something similar to the feedback system on ebay.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
So the plot thickens, the transmission has been working fine, but the engine was overheating to the point it shut the engine off for 'Overheat protection' according to OBD.

After it cooled, checking the dipstick showed oil muck, so yay, blown head gasket or cracked heads.

Managed to limp the car to the mechanic around 1AM when it was nice and cool, mechanic confirmed oil in cooling system and exhaust gases in cooling system.

He said, the ways its behaving and its outcome would be the reason it was running rough for a while, despite when i had overheating (small) prior, the issue was dismissed as simply air in the cooling system and nothing else..

Cheaper for replacement engine, picked one up with 124,000km vs my current 229,000km for $1950.