Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VZ SV6 Leaking coolant

1FATVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
oh and he showed me the o-rings that he had to change and told me how he couldn't believe they were $65, he reckons their worth no more than a few dollars, and they just looked like rubber bands to me,

but oh well it couldve been much worse so im not complaining

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Mate is there any chance you would be able to give us an image of where these O-rings are located??

I'm having a very similar issue and would really appreciate it if you could show me what/where I'm looking for.

Cheers

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
which manifold was it leaking from?? I'm a tad confused

1FATVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
sorry guys im not exactly sure of what its called but its sorta where the radiator metal pipe thing runs into the engine, like center on the front of the engine, its visible when the intake manifold? (black bit) is removed.

mattsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SENATOR
Here? ...

Attachments

• vz v6 engine.jpg
    vz v6 engine.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 4,574

1FATVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
yep thats where it was, but further in under the inlet manifold...

Got the car back today and the job description was:

- Water outlet & inlet seals

along with...

check for water leaks, remove inlet manifold, clean top of manifold, pressure test and replace water outlet and inlet seals, pressure test again, check for leaks, fit inlet manifold, top up coolant and road test.

all up costed me $187.

aquatribal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ berlina wagon
$187...............................that sounds cheap? for alota work. i had something similar happen, and it wasnt that cheap to fix more like $0000's :(

i posted this in the past about it...

i have just experienced the same issues with my cooling system on the 175 allotec vz. one night in traffic the temp gauge and thermos went nuts a few times (in slow traffic),pulled over and the engine was quite cool ????? i got back on freewaY and everything went back to normal, temperature etc.(there was no loss of permformance may i add) when i got home,there was no coolant..and white goo on the oil cap, way more than just condensation.took the car to the mech the next day and 2480 dollars later ALL the gaskets, oring at the front, in the cooling system, changed.heads removed and sent away for crack test, maching etc. they came back good thankfully,total engine flush and water pump was gone as well. 5 leaks during preesure test.it was like a fountain (i changed thermostat while i was having work done, to costly if it fails as well later on). even though i looked after my car well, and had it serviced when needed,check oil and water every week, i wasnt flushing the system enough, and probs not using the most suitable coolant for the alloytec . the coolant turns slighty acidic after 12 or so mths and eats everything slowly. the wrong coolant is , from what i hear and read, the cause of most premeture cooling system failures......

spose its a little like a human, not enough good liquid in it and it will slowly die....

ozzypole

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VZ Executive
Has anyone done this repair? Does the inlet manifold have to be removed, or can you access the area with onlt the throttle body and associated plumbing/wiring/shrouds removed? Any help appreciated.

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
just having my leaky radiator replaced as I type... Thank f**k for holden aftermarket factory warranty :D

calay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
pity the damn apprentices cbf doing a proper job filling the coolant - left a big airlock and had the car overheat 5mins down the road... was nice of the customer service person to ring me today, got to make a nice complaint ;)