Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vz sv6 sounds like tractor, vibrates in idle..

Chickenboi999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais Sportswagon S2
na my old one was stripped down to the crank & it was shot needed machining etc, it set me back $3750 for engine & roughly another gran for install, it wasnt runnin with broken crank, it stopped on side of road bout an hour from home, ol boy wasnt happy to pick me up at midnight wen i had work next day(i work for my old boy aswell)

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I'd pick up a engine from a wreckers if it were me.... they arnt that expensive. That is if you really have to spend that kinda $$$ on a parts etc.

Sparkmaker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz calais
andyman I go with his opinion just scan it u will rule out any electric problems on the way its really a waste to change the whole motor .

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
a little bit of an update/background information which i think may be the problem. it only clicked today that the two might be linked due to reading a thread on here earlier today.
ages ago (just over halfway through last year) my car had a SVS warning on it right about the time is was in need of a service (and also at the same time i needed a new front bumper as someone had reversed into it) so to fix all problems properly i decided to go to holden to service my car, get a quote for a new bumper and i assumed they would get rid of the service warning/let me know what the problem was.
i got a report back from them which had all sorts of things they suggested to replace. at the time i was low on cash and couldn't afford to fix them, but non on the list seemed too drastic at the time.
now looking back (after having read the thread on the SVS warning) i thought...S**t, maybe they said in their report that the oil pressure sensor needed replacing. not a thing in the report suggested that.

after doing a bit of research on the web about oil pressure sensors i came across something that basically said if not replaced it could result in an engine rebuild or replacement.
any thoughts? my car goes back to the mechanic in a week and a half to get fully assessed and quoted. not looking good as it stands...

eXphoid

I have no license yet xD.
Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
VZ executive & VS Equipe S2 Ecotec
hey, i've been getting the same sound only it also occasionally sounds when accelerating as well. today the "check powerchain" light comes on and it's starting to concern me. . .

any updates on your cars situation?

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
Hey mate, yeah well i got it fixed about 3 months ago, costing all of 600-700$ which was far less than i was expecting. the mechanic said it just needed a real good clean out and lots of things inside were just filthy and gungy due to the oil pressure switch popping which they had to replace. it sounded good for a while, but slowly returned to its' original state.....im taking it back next tuesday to see whats up

2005vzute

Djabringyagrogalong
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2005 VZ Ute M6
hmm, in relation to andyman...if the engine was pinging..i believe the fuel is meant to ignite before TDC...not by much, only a little bit...its 6 degrees or something before TDC...the fuel would ignite just before TDC because it takes 3 milliseconds or something for the fuel to burn...whilst the fuel is burning, the piston comes up to TDC and once it is just past TDC and on its way back down is when the fuel has completely combusted..therefore maximum pressure is achieved just after TDC and thrusting that piston back down...pinging or knocking is caused when the fuel ignites much before TDC...therefore by the time its taken 3 milliseconds for the fuel to burn, the piston is only just reaching or is at TDC..possibly even slightly after TDC...meaning that maximum pressure in the cylinder is too close to TDC and is pushing that piston straight towards the crankshaft vertically rather then after TDC and pushing that crankshaft around in a circle...correct me if im wrong.

kicker12

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
I would guess timing chain.
But then wouldnt it just make the noise all the time? The car drove better than ever when i first got it back from the mechanic, no noise, very responsive. Now it makes the noise a lot and it sluggish again..car has been in since tuesday, yet to hear from them..see how it goes i spose

dirtslinger

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
just wondering what sort of ks these cars have done ? i just bought a vz with 94.000 ks on it