Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Was Your Dad a Hoon

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
my old man drives perfectly on the speed limit, is very well mannered to others on the road and is generally a great driver...... until he's on a country road in the middle of nowhere with no other car is sight then he's a bigger hoon then me lol

SV62NV

Scuba Steve
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE SV6
My mum drives like 10km below what the speed limit is, dad doesn't hoon around but his always like 15km over the speed limit, i'm in the middle, if the speed limit is 80 i do 80 :)

Cúl-Báire

Reaction score
Members Ride
AUII XR8 Ute & BAII XR6
My old man was most certainly a hoon!.. He use to be a development driver for Fords in the late eighties, and early nineties. As kids we were always helping him tinker with cars and the like. So naturally I am much the same, love going fast and tinkering with cars.

He left Ford in the early nineties and eventually found himself being a Contracts Manager at a large engineering firm prior to passing away in 2002 aged 48yo :rip: Coincidently enough, like being a "hoon" my occupation seems to have followed suit being in a similar role for a builder.

I am sure if he was still around he'd be in the shed doing something to the 5ltr in my SS, or taking it for a test run out on the backroads somewhere :idea:

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
my dad was a bit of a hoon, but a crap one. he had a worked triumph stag, but he knows spit about cars, which is why i spent years thinking a short engine was one that didn't include the transmission. :fewl: also in v6>v8 conversion conversations, he asked me if i'd need to change the inlet manifold.

Matt02SS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS + VY exec + Vs wagon
My old man was a big hoon too. Always telling me his old mustang (He grew up in america) had more illegal parts in it than there were legal, how a set of tyres rarely lated through a whole month, and how he raced it every week in the arizona desert. Drives live an old woman now though, constantly drives 40-45 in a 50 zone, its pretty embaressing when there is a big line up of cars behind us.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
dad always tells me how much of a menace he was when he first got his licence in his gutless old HB torana (how that's possible i dont know). he had an old 308 HQ 4spd the whole time i was a kid and never revved it over 2 grand, i think the craziest he got was kicking the tail out on dirt once a year or thereabouts. i inherited that car and he shouted me a new motor with cam/heads/exhaust etc for my 19th. that thing revved to 6 grand all day and put EFI 5.0L commodores to shame back in the day but when the old man drove it he still wouldn't go over 2 grand. WTF?!
about 7-8 years later he somehow ended up stealing my VR SS (lowered, cai, exhaust, shiftkit etc) and became a teenager all over again. drifting roundabouts, hanging the tail out when it hits second, whinging about how it needs more grunt because it dont pull hard enough in 3rd etc. late mid life crisis i think.
now he's about to retire and is talking about getting a shelby cobra kit car with an LS3 or similar to keep himself amused, if that happens i'm moving back home

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
my old man was bad, real bad. used to tear around the roads on his dirtbike when he was around 12 ish, then moving to cars. was very bad with cars, i dont know how old he was when he got of his p plates, around 24-25 i think. he said 'the police never really liked me because i used to drive flat out everywhere'.

he was always spending all night trying building motors for him and his mates while his mates were at the pub, would come to pick them up in their car which just had the new engine fitted to do some 'testing'. was known as the local bloke to go and see to build fast engines.

i cant really tell the stories coz they are very bad, but see if you can work this one out. reverse gear, straight road, passing cars, 80k zone. the car had tall diff gears and and a stroker so it would see the wrong side of 155mph quite often on the roads :/ he still has that car, and it has the second yella terra alloy heads ever made, has dave bennets signature inscribed on them.

i never do that stuff he did, i need my licence to get to university and keep my job, and the worst thing i have done in a car is 69 in a 60 zone.

he drives very sedately now, mum gets more speeding fines than him now.

southy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Suzuki Swift GTI
Dad was a hoon and sometimes still is, saying he had the odd "quick run" in his old LC Gtr seeing the temperature in the red for nearly half the trip. lol Then when i bought my car a couple of months ago (knowing they were a pretty quick car for there size)we were going up a one way doubled lane hill near gosford i think, he had it sittin on 8,000rpm and we were going quick lol that is the last i have seen of his inner hoon for a while.

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
my dad wasnt really a hoon but loved his cars hes got a HQ GTS monaro now and also has a harley i dont have a clue about he told me how to do burnouts on bikes but thats about it