Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What did you do to your VR/VS today?

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
What sort of torque do they claim they support?
Can you trust any of what they say or the specs?
Ill let you know long term, its only a $350 investment in a bog standard V6, all I can say currently; its quiet & works. I thought it was worth a punt when “Cars N Things Restos” put one in their 550hp blown (burnout & part time drag car) LS Statesman!

IMG_0399.jpeg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Keep us updated. I was warned away from getting one of those, not that I was considering one if I hadn't gone with a Kaaz I would have likely bought a Harrop or an Eaton.

In saying that it will be interesting to see how they hold up to regular punishment over time.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Its only going behind a stock v6.

Should hold up ok?
I wouldn't know Lex. I was just warned that they are not much good. But I guess a diff builder is not going to risk his rep fitting something that has the potential to fail whether it would or not.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Even a reasonably modified one it would probably be fine.

Really need to run one for a while and then pull it apart and check the working surfaces to see how the metalurgy is holding up, or just look at the oil, with a mechanical diff like a true trac there should be no oil contamination like with the factory LSD.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've heard the factory LSD is pretty ok in a straight line it's when you do circle work that cop a flogging apparently. My diff builder modifies the drain bolt and adds a magnet to them to help pick up the filings the cones leave.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I wouldn't know Lex. I was just warned that they are not much good. But I guess a diff builder is not going to risk his rep fitting something that has the potential to fail whether it would or not.
Depends on what you want the diff to stand up to? Burn out competions, drag or circuit racing, getting it to slide side ways doing 200kph, or just cruising doing the speed limit?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Depends on what you want the diff to stand up to? Burn out competions, drag or circuit racing, getting it to slide side ways doing 200kph, or just cruising doing the speed limit?
True, but then why not just run with the factory LSD, even if it is single pegging?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Maybe they are dearer?
Most utes should have one as stock. Mine was about $900 for the full diff build and removal and refit. But if not needing for high performance is there really any need for a Trutrac or LSD? They don't help you go around corners better, in fact quite the opposite with a true LSD. I'm not sure if the Trutrac's unlock when cornering? But a tight factory LSD will spin you 180deg if you're not careful, especially on a damp road.