Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what do you all think of this vs?

Chappo_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II Ute V6 1996
Hi mate, it looks OK. If he has really spent $1100 on shocks and springs, it looks even better.

Is the mileage too high, and has it been thrashed? The mileage isn’t too high….. If it hasn’t been thrashed.  I bought a VS when it was four years old that had done close to 250,000km. It has done over 400,000km now, and the motor is still going strong.

Things to check:

Get under the car and check for oil leaking from the main seal, you will see signs of oil dripping off the inspection cover (it is between the rear of the motor and gear box, and has a small hole in it). Look for traces of oil backwards from here, that has been spread by the force of the wind blowing under the car while driving. If there is a lot, then there is a serious oil leak. A rear main seal replacement is a big expensive job.

Check out the brake rotors, looks like you will have to do this from under the car, going by the wheels on the car. Check for deep score marks. The rotors should probably be replaced if it has done 250,000km. Ask the owner if they have been replaced recently.

Check out the steering rack while under the car. Check for oil leaks from the rubber boots. Check the steering pump for leaks as well. Replacing steering rack and pump is expensive.

Check there is coolant in the overflow tank for the radiator. Check it is clean, and not oily. The radiators need to be replaced often in these cars, ask how old the radiator is.
Ask if the inlet manifolds gaskets have been replaced, and when. Leaking inlet manifold gaskets can cause coolant to leak.

All of the above I have had to fix on mine, some not long after I bought it. The steering rack, it was done a few years ago. The inlet manifold gaskets, were done a couple of months ago.

A well maintained VS will go for sometime, you need to determine how well maintained this one is.

I hope this helps you mate. Good luck.

GTS69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS GTS & VT XU6
hes right that these motors can go for a long time but if its not been looked after you can almost be sure it will die soon you will find it will be using a little oil and that will harm performance and economy honestly look to spend most of you $9000 and get something with as low km as posible you dont wanna be doing a engine or gearbox rebuild in the next 6 months buy something as best as you can afford and it will last you longer and be worth more when it comes to resale.
Try your local auctions can save 1/3-1/2 of retail $6000 should see you in a vy easy from a auction

Adds_05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L
^Agreed or if it had to be a vs, I'd be looking for a hsv for that sort of cash...

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Nice choice as a first car , I ran VS Calais for a few years , I would suggest getting it thoroughly checked over before you part with the mulah , good thing is both engines ( pre-ecotec and the ecotec 3.8 are a good starting point for modifications if that is what you want to do .

Good luck

playful

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 VS Executive
Thanks for the possitive responses everyone, I'll bear it all in mind.

I'd be looking for a later model than a VS if I had 9k to throw at a Commodore.

yeah I was up until a few days ago looking at a VY executive and VY S pack but for a manual it'd take me a while to get the money to change the rims, lower it, put a sub in etc due to the higher prices. I could tidy it up by debadging etc but that's it lol. and I'm not too keen on vt's or vx's imho

Plus I am still waiting on one that is in a colour I like, those ones I saw are in a horrid shade of red :/

If there are no decent vs's when I get back home in 10 days, I'm gonna do what you suggested.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Looks like its been thrashed to me. All those mods + looks like its missing carpet in the drivers footwell Would put me off completely. Also Ks are getting up a bit. If you absolutely have your heart set on a VS, get one that immaculate, low kms, one old man owner etc. Otherwise get a later model.

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Yeah I rekon it's been thrashed too. I'd try find something standard, although it will be pretty hard to find a standard manual, or a manual in general. You could always get an auto and as you learn things have a go at a manual conversion...you'll end up with a much better car that way.