Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What insurance have you got?

What type of Insurance have you got

• None

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • 3rd Party Property (pay for the other car to be fixed)

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • Comprehensive

Votes: 46 69.7%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Im glad I had just completely done up the brakes on the ute, discs & drums machined new pads, shoes, wheel cylinders the works else I might have been paying a bill as well

I am fortunate enough that I can arrange the money to pay for the repairs to start right away, AAMI (my insurer) will cover the 1st $3000 of repairs and persue him for the funds, I will pay the rest, then also pursue him for the difference in repair costs, lost income & other costs of the accident, doctors visit, remove & replace all stock & tools out of my ute, rental car whilst mine is being repaired. Odds are getting the money will take time I know it would take me a bit to find that kinds of money.

Scott

If I read your post correctly, you have insurance with AAMI that requires them to pay the first 3k, you pay the rest and AAMI chase him up to get your money back?

I assume that isn't a comprehensive policy? A comprehensive policy with a reputable company would pay your damages in full and pursue the "at fault" driver for their money, AND your no-claim bonus is not affected.

I'm insured with NRMA and that's how comprehensive insurance works with them. And I reckon that's exactly how it SHOULD work.

rb26dett

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS S2 A4
I have comprehensive and declare EVERYTHING I have done to the 3 cars.

My misses just had her insurance cancelled because she did not declare that she had a sub in the boot, so now she is paying for her accident.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
I have comprehensive and declare EVERYTHING I have done to the 3 cars.

My misses just had her insurance cancelled because she did not declare that she had a sub in the boot, so now she is paying for her accident.

You're joking.... That's shocking what difference would a sub in the boot make! Lucky I have all mods declared :)

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I had Full comp for my l67 VS stato but when the market value dropped to about 4grand I went for 3rd party which is 400bucks now that im old and wise.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
insurance is a waste of time and money. there are so many loopholes that can sting you. you end up paying for most or the repair bill anyway for a minor bingle. then they have the cheek to write-off cars with minor damage like hail stone dents, or broken-into door locks and ignitions, and have the GALL to give you just enough money back to NOT be able to afford a replacement car.

my neighbours sub forrester got hail damage, he took it in to be assesed, they pretty much confiscated it and gave him 10k, when he owed 11k... and the car was fine. just needed 2k worth of paint and panel.

THEN i had a mate driving a twin turbo supra on his p's... gets rear ended while parked at lights, TOTALLY not his fault, insurance of the other car refused to pay cos' he was driving a car past his power/weight ratio.

3rd party is all thats needed. the rest is a huge joke.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
yeah I agree, with the guy on his p's though that's completely legitimate. guarantee in every insurer's terms and conditions it will say you must be licensed to drive the car.

if it's too powerful then your probation license isn't going to cut it.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
Personally I think 3rd party insurance should be compulsory the same way rego is. Of course insurance companys try to get out of paying out in some circumstances but its fairly rare and your still better off having it than not.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Interesting that it's all the young guys with comparitively low valued cars who think that comprehensive insurance is a waste of money. Probably is, given the value of the cars but wait until you're a bit older and wiser and drive something worth a few bucks. When that ****-head in his clapped out VR with no insurance clouts your pride and joy, you'll be thankful you have comprehensive insurance.

Ari - anybody can quote instances where people got "dudded' by insurers. Whose fault is it if someone you know owes more on his car than it's worth or insured for? Not the insurers. And if your mate with the Supra had been insured, they would have done the fighting for him. Even though he was driving a vehicle outside his restrictions, they would have paid out, IF he was insured with a reputable company, then pursued the other driver.