Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

When will people learn

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Did you see this one in Craigie earlier in the week ?

5497008-3x2-700x467.jpg

This cars crashing into houses thing is getting out of control over here. There has been an average of something like 4 per week over an extended period of time

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
While obviously speed was a factor in the mans death , a split second stupid decision was the greater player , being young , dumb , and full of cum , thankfully as mentioned he didn't kill anyone else ,

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The driver of that Falcon was pissed though, still a stupid decision, but the way the media waved the hoon flag was ridonculous.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
And when you look at 'hoon' stats vs. 'retard' stats, hoon barely comes into the equation.

Nothing like an indefensible scapegoat to feed the media circus though.

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98
Until the fact that driving on our roads is considered a privilige and not a right is drummed into drivers minds then these things will continue to occur.
Even though natural selection is in action, innocents will always suffer . And that is the the biggest tragedy.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
That was just another example I posted. The endless stream of these incidents isn't necessarily from hoons. A number of them have been drink driving, general incompetance etc. No doubt phone use is also playing a part. Also a wide range of vehicle types and age groups up to people in their 60s. Point is it's happening more and more, whatever the reason.

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Also the human brain only seems to learn from mistake but when you make a mistake like this, you can't get it right next time.

I'm afraid that I don't agree. Some specimens seem to fit into that box, but far from all.

Nevertheless, experience does seem the best way to learn life's lessons. I have raised my sons with that thought, but with the additional comment that it hurts a whole lot less to use someone else's experience.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I believe the govt could do a lot more to kurb some of this carnage.
They crap on about getting hoons off the street etc, making sure their efforts are very dramatic and publicised so it looks like they are doing something...

but in reality they are making stuff all difference - as seen from all of these incidents.
IF they were serious and bothered to do a bit of research, they would realise that young guys (in particular) have lots of testosterone. Mix that with cars and it's going to be on. Doesn't matter if you threaten to take their cars and crush them, they are still going to do it.

So why not make the race track a place which is more attractive to 'hoons'. The drag strip isn't overly expensive, but it's hellishly expensive taking your car out for a sprint session at a circuit. So why doesn't the govt organise encourage 'race your mates' sessions at race tracks (both circuit and drag strip) by organising and subsidising such events. And it doesn't need to cost the taxpayer anything. I'm sure there would be lots of automotive related companies willing to throw sponsorship money at such events, and they could further encourage by inviting well known race drivers out on some of the days to get people attending. Drivers could offer some tips and encouragement.

Before I used to take my car out to sprint sessions, I often had the urge to give the car a squirt on the streets, twisty country roads etc. But one track day satisfies enough of my adrenaline to keep me well behaved for several months. I can honestly say that ever since taking my adrenaline out at the race track, I rarely intentionally break any road rules, speed limits etc. It almost seems pointless to me now after being on a track where you can use the entire road to corner, don't have to watch for speed cameras/police and can legitimately go flat out without having to dodge other motorists.

You are still going to get your d**kheads who get a thrill out of breaking the law, or are too pissweak to go to the track because they know they can't drive anywhere near as well as they think they can and fear they might get shown up in front of all their peers. But I reckon a lot of these guys/girls would be keen to keep it off the road if they had a reasonably affordable, convenient and safe alternative

Last edited:

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
This is one of the reasons I'm hoping the new race track at Bushells Ridge actually gets built (CASAR Park). It'll give all the Central Coasties somewhere to let off some steam and maybe shake a few nerves so the drive home from the track is a bit calmer and in safer hands.

Also, this video was posted on a fire fighter's group on Facebook of another prang today, where the gearbox and engine was ejected from the car:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3Znc-M4N54&feature=youtu.be

I don't know any details of it, but people really do need to take more care! And better driver education would go a long way as well, not just forcing kids to get more lessons (120 hours or whatever) from their parents, which - let's be honest - generally means they're learning from people who also most likely know nothing about advanced driving skills, etc. The system is designed to teach kids to drive like their parents, not like people who actually know what they're doing.