Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Why Degree A Cam Shaft?

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
LOL. When we started this discussion you didn't even seem to know about the adjustable timing sets for the LS. I think you're making this **** up as you go.

Yes I did.
I said if you don't have a adjustable gear then there's no point.
To which you replyed "if you use an adjustable timing set"
That doesn't mean I don't know they exist just that there are a lot of people that don't see the need for one this is especially the case if you're running a stock spring cam.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If an engine is out of car or you can get degree wheel on there you should do it...you do it for peace of mind.

Most people don't check & usually when they do probably close enough...

It's one of those things where you've could've done 100 cam swaps from same supplier no problems yet only takes 1 to be way out or wrong to ruin days or weeks of labour & shite ton of money.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well it's time to get a real Youtube education. Time for some VGG!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If an engine is out of car or you can get degree wheel on there you should do it...you do it for peace of mind.

Most people don't check & usually when they do probably close enough...

It's one of those things where you've could've done 100 cam swaps from same supplier no problems yet only takes 1 to be way out or wrong to ruin days or weeks of labour & shite ton of money.

Yup.

With modern CNC cam grinding equipment cam accuracy should be better than ever but it only takes someone having a bad day and making an error setting up the machine to make everything go pear shaped.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Yup.

With modern CNC cam grinding equipment cam accuracy should be better than ever but it only takes someone having a bad day and making an error setting up the machine to make everything go pear shaped.

which is why I have said you can actually bench check the cam ffs.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Of course you can. But that’s a waste of time and not necessarily relevant unless you don’t trust the cam manufacturer or if you don’t know which grind it is.

May as well spend less time decreeing it and make sure it’s fitted correctly in the engine. There are numerous things that influence valve timing events including crank to cam centre distance, sprocket diameters, chain roller clearances/sizes and crank key way positioning.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride

But still doesn't confirm if the cam is timed correctly in the engine FFS!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Interesting you mention Profix....They no longer exist.....Every single profix store I knew of in S.A changed its name to Automasters...I heard a few rumours why it happened, but couldn't confirm any....Needless to say, it was something along the lines of bad workmanship

Wow Profix, thats a horrible blast from the past.

Automasters are a WA based franchise that bought out Profix for a very very cheap price. (I know a lot about profix, unfortunatley).

They fired 90% of the Profix groups mechanics because out of all 17 SA stores, apparently they had 3 fully qualified mechanics between them, if that doesn't paint a horrible picture for you I don't know what will.

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
But still doesn't confirm if the cam is timed correctly in the engine FFS!

There is no correct timing for a cam ffs.
Go degree a set of alloy tech cams.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
There is no correct timing for a cam ffs.
Go degree a set of alloy tech cams.
There’s definitely incorrect timing, so that would suggest that a cam can be correctly timed?

I suppose it’s up to the installer as to how accurately they want to set it up.

I’m a machinist. I could bore a hub .02 oversize for a bearing race and it’d work, but that doesn’t make it right. Alternatively, I could bore it to the correct size and know that it’s right, having greater confidence in the products reliability and performance.

I don’t view engine building as being any different.