Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

why is the VL a cult car

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
I would say they have lost some popularity over the past few years, I see more young fellas in VR-VT now because they have come down alot in price. The only guys who really drive VL's now are the guys who really want them.

And the P plate laws.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
LOL LOL LOL LOL!!!! Why a cruddy VL V8 when you can have a nice 3L turbo what will out perform the VL V8 any day of the week.

Even the stock 3L 5 speed N/A VL will keep up with the VL V8.

i couldn't care less what it could or couldn't keep up with. there was no wank factor involved in owning it. I needed a car that could pull hte boat without any problem and it came up. To me you are comparing a speed boat with a tugboat. I didn't need to go fast. It had some work done and held its own quite well but it wasn't something i needed to prove to make myself feel good!
So i guess by out perform you mean take off faster, but towing the boat was the performance i was after.

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
by all means im not saying turbos are bad, id go out and drive an 11 second car right now and have a ball, but its not my ultimate dream. im really just having a go if anyhting, but i do dislike-

stock vl's with sports exhausts
clear lights
arms hanging out the window

Because these people honestly think there the fastest thing on the road, maybe they were racing vk 202's back in the day.............

lol what about the tossers who always have stockies on the back?! if you are too povvo to buy tyres don't wreck them in the first place! looks plane crap. Having the car lower at the back seems to be a bit of an idiot trait too.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Yeah stockies on the back has hit every model of commodore it seems. Around here it seems the vs's are the ones that end p with stockies on the back more then any other model. It's a shame.

VH commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH and VT S2 Berlina ecotec
lol what about the tossers who always have stockies on the back?! if you are too povvo to buy tyres don't wreck them in the first place! looks plane crap. Having the car lower at the back seems to be a bit of an idiot trait too.

why would u wanna wreak your good tyres and possibly your rims when u can destroy el cheapo's?

vlv8vic

Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
why would u wanna wreak your good tyres and possibly your rims when u can destroy el cheapo's?

can't you change them at the track? I can understand when changing them for a comp but people are always cutting laps with stockies on the back. I'd have thought people would rather cruise with their car looking nice than looking like a charity case.

Bilbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Sportwagon
im reading thru this 2 stroke Vs 4 stroke thing here, and its needless to say, that when the chamber is firing a compression stroke every time the piston hits the top of the bore, of course its going to have more power, its like a 4 stroke reving twice as hard, and as revs, horsepower, and torque are all related, that alone gives it more power, now thats even without an expansion pipe, that helps the scavenging effect of they cylender, which on a 2 stroke you need due to the fact you dont have another stroke of the piston the get the exhaust gas out, and due to popular misconception, the crankcase does not act as a supercharger, it only stores the mixture, untill the cylinder is ready for it, it doesnt literaly force the mixture into the combustion chamber, but just incase anyone likes to do the math, and compare the 2 at the same revs, you could work out the HP like this if you had the Torque

HP=Torque*RPM/7120.8 try it if you dont believe me And just my 2 cents, ill maybee give in and say the VL is a cult car, as someone stated, a cult is something that has a lot of stupid people following some other idiot, for no concievable, rational, or logical reason, excatly like the VL's following ;)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
can't you change them at the track? I can understand when changing them for a comp but people are always cutting laps with stockies on the back. I'd have thought people would rather cruise with their car looking nice than looking like a charity case.

I'm the opposite, always mags. Burnouts on mags, driving on mags.

Went to sydney with new tyres. Came home and they were almost bald.