Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Why so sluggish?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah its nine. he has that all set up right.

after sleeping on it for a bit i would swear that your problem is in the valve train somewhere. taking into account you shaved 60 off the heads and shimed it up, im wondering if one of the shims is a little too large and holding a vlave slightly open.

you really need to take a vacuum reading. if the reading is jumping from 0-12ish in neutral then itll be a vlave issue. sticky valve, or in my case broken spring. the car will run fine (ish) at higher RPM but at idle and down low itll shake rattle and roll depending on how much manifold vac you are losing.

i had an almost identical cam on my carby 308 (222 duration 496 lift megatorque brand) and with stock springs etc and roughly the same comp ratio and a good tune it idled smoothly and accelerated evenly all the way through the power band. i ddont think yours should lope.

and also following on from the vacuum leak idea, if your vac hunts around more than 2 or 3 inches (i.e. sits at 9 then drops slowly to 4 then slowly goes to 12 etc) it could indicate a vac leak. then triple check all your vac hoses, brake booster, vac advance and whatever map sensors you have (i dunno if 304's have map or whatever) then try the wd40 trick

post back dude. we wanna get your car rockin' :)

oh, and a simple trick to try if it is a valve issue is take of your plug leads one at a time and listen for rev change. if you take one off and it makes no difference stick your comp guage in the spark plug hole and take a comp reading. if its lower than the rest pop off your rocker cover and have a sticky beak at your valves/rockers.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i did have shims in there, but i took out the thinner one to see if that was causing a problem, but it didnt make much difference. if anything the shims in there now are too small. what do i use to check for the vacuum leak reading?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
vacuume guage. you should have a good one in your toolbox at all times cos' they are a brilliant problem solver. 80 bucks from bursons or i have one here you can borrow.

looking back at the shim problem, i doubt it is that either due to the fact you have hydraulic lifters and they should have a good 80 thou play on them anyway. so scratch that off. try the spark plug thing first. its quick and free but dont zap yourself on the lead cos' i frikken hurts.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i will try a few of these things when i get the chance. if i didnt have a uni assignment i really gotta work on, id drop by yours to show you it

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
delco, i got the aldl circuit. its al working. did a quick recording with the car sitting in the driveway. revved it a few times. you might be able to work out something from the recording. o2 sensor voltage kept going up and down, but dont know if thats normal or not

Attachments

• VR68VS8_20090907_155129.rar
    29.6 KB · Views: 134

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
O2 swinging is normal if you have the revs up a little im about to veiw the log now give me 10

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
man she needs a lot of tuning ide be closing the throttle screw till it reads about 20 steps at idle and set the idle rpm to 1000 in the tune for a start then start changing idle timing till it idles lower than 60kpa LOL even closing the screw may help that a lot .theres major fuel corrections going on too set the base idle and stuff then log a drive for me

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
man she needs a lot of tuning ide be closing the throttle screw till it reads about 20 steps at idle and set the idle rpm to 1000 in the tune for a start then start changing idle timing till it idles lower than 60kpa LOL even closing the screw may help that a lot .theres major fuel corrections going on too set the base idle and stuff then log a drive for me

here are two more logs from when i took it out for a drive today.

Attachments

• Logged data.rar
    216.5 KB · Views: 122

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you should email me the bin you are running so i can do a few tweaks :D and crossreferance to the logs also go download the correct scannerpro definition from this page delcohacking.net • View topic - .ads .adx .adl files for aldl logging. dont know if you are running auto or manual cant remember theres both there though for the vr v8 will work fine and i can setup the blm tables so its referenced to blm cells will make tuning VE so much nicer than useing efilive and can stop the log and go backwards unlike efilive.