Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wont go loud!

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Ok well what you just said doesn't clear anything up.

I tried earthing the unit properly by taking the antenna out and earthing the head unit to metal on the car. No change.

I've tried connecting a single speaker directly to the head unit and tried swapping the wires back and forth on it. No change.

The only thing thats unusual to me is there seems to be 2 lumes, so to speak, where one bunch of wires goes towarads the bottom of the car and the other one up into the dash. Off the head unit is 2 wires for each speaker, and those 2 speaker wires are connected to 2 wires coming from the top lume, and then another wire is connected to those 2 wires from the bottom lume.

I really have no idea what im doing so im not gonna start cutting ****, but yeh it doesn't make much sense to me.

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
There should be a black wire coming out of your head unit. Try screwing a screw (obviously) into a bare metal spot behind your HU and attatching the earth (black) to that rather than the one in your cars loom. Might fix it, might not, but its better anyway.

To check if its the problem, try to check the voltage drop in the earth by testing across the earth wire and a spot thats bare metal in the car WHILE THE HU IS ON. If the drop is anything significant, say 1V or more, its likely that this is your problem

If you have one around try to use a multimeter on the voltage setting to test the voltage across the earth spot and the 12V constant. SHould be about 12.4V is the car is off and 14V or a bit more if its running.

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hmmm, nobody has the understanding to come up with a solution??

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
u dont ahve an ipod adaptor attatched to the unit??? my brohter in laws unit wouldnt turn up when the ipod adapter was connected for some reason

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
It's either going to be faulty wiring and/or damaged head unit.

So take it out of the car, wire it up to a 12v source, hook a speaker up to each channel... Does it work? If not, it's faulty and your wiring probably caused it as the second head unit you tried didn't work either. If it does work, then redo the wiring or get a pro to redo it.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka

Actually, the understanding isn't with us...it's with you. There is various reasons why a headunit won't turn up the volume far....what sort of sound? Does it sound normal and just has no volume? Does it sound a little tinny? Does it sound all distorted?

Also, a please can generally go a long long way :)

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
Pfft, stop being a prick. Theres more understanding in this thread than you can poke a stick at, and some good ideas of the causes. You're making it more difficult for yourself by not posting more information after trying stuff

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Pfft, stop being a prick. Theres more understanding in this thread than you can poke a stick at, and some good ideas of the causes. You're making it more difficult for yourself by not posting more information after trying stuff

I have said plenty, have a read. Im not being a prick, just direct. Dont be such a pussy.

bognog

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Actually, the understanding isn't with us...it's with you. There is various reasons why a headunit won't turn up the volume far....what sort of sound? Does it sound normal and just has no volume? Does it sound a little tinny? Does it sound all distorted?

Also, a please can generally go a long long way :)

It sounds normal till you turn it up it just cracks consistantly.

What might cause this im thinking. Not enough power to power the speakers? Turning it up too far makes it louder but if it's not getting enough juice it will just distort like that? Hmmm, im just guessing here, i dont understand this stiff im just going by what common sense tells me.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka