Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Woops!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
We lost out by at least $10,000 when we sold our VE SS ute. I was parked in the company's car park. We all parked parallel to the road. As I was early I was parked further in. A truck came down a slope from the other side, the driver had left the handbrake off and the truck ran across the road into our cars. The first two were written off but unfortunately as I found out much later ours was fixed.

When they painted the car they took off the vin number. The vin number on the series one was a sticker. Holden would not reissue vin numbers. They do give paper work to say the vehicle is authentic however.

We only found out when tried to get a roadworthy prior to selling it. We did get one after we got the paperwork. I could not in good conscience sell it privately so I sold it to a car shark. I had no qualms selling it to them but lost out big time. He rang me a few days later asking why the ute didn't have a vin nunber so I told him exactly what happened. The ute had been fixed properly so I wasn't selling him a dud. I have no idea whether or not he was able to sell it. Caveat Emptor.

All the same it was sad to see it go as I had spent a bit of money on it. Cold air, extractors and 2 1/2 exhaust plus tune. Brembos back and front as well.
Maybe iv've missunderstood which sticker it is but the repairer should be wacked with a baseball bat (unless the replacement process came afterwards)...

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Maybe iv've missunderstood which sticker it is but the repairer should be wacked with a baseball bat (unless the replacement process came afterwards)...

It's on the door frame I can't think of the name of it but it's where the back of the door closes onto. It wasn't until we sold the car and that' was quite a long time after that it was noticed and not by me. Hindsight is a wonderful sight but perhaps I should have gone back to the insurer.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It's on the door frame I can't think of the name of it but it's where the back of the door closes onto. It wasn't until we sold the car and that' was quite a long time after that it was noticed and not by me. Hindsight is a wonderful sight but perhaps I should have gone back to the insurer.
Yes, that's the compliance label (sticker) which lives on the passenger side B pillar near the door striker. Interestingly on the ute it also lists GVM which sadly isn't listed for sedans and wagons...

With today's mindset I'd have definitely raised the issue with the insurance company rather than take a hit myself but who knows what I'd have done many many years ago with a younger more pliable and gullible mind (I've done some silly things in my time but that's for another time)...

Agree hindsight and experience are a wonderful thing :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'd also be downright peeved as well if i was pulled over and ticketed but i wouldn't risk spending the night in jail and adding more charges to the mix.

That's why it's just so much easier for a business to put in processes to check themselves on-line and be 100% confidant they are not going to have issues.

Really, the rego stickers should never have been ditched but for saving a few dollars... tight arse pricks really...

Wonder what happens if a mechanic is test driving a car that police pull over and find unroadworthy (too low, too lound, too smelly, etc). Who pays the fine? the tow costs? the rectification? especially if the meachanic did half the stuff that made it unoadworthy :oops:

They can only jail me for swearing at them. I'll continue with the signed paperwork saying the car is registered....

As for the unroadworthy parts....No idea....Technically, the driver because you are the one driving an unroadworthy car if pulled over, so you're the one that'll cop the fine, if they want to go down that path

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I’m not sure what the situation is in other States or Territories, but in Victoria…

A33B2722-8143-4904-9BCF-0318E34F1099.jpeg

The above is from Victoria Legal Aid https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/driving-unregistered-vehicle

Somehow, I doubt that having a signed form from the owner will make a lot of difference. I guess the key word is ‘ensure’ that it is registered. Is asking the owner ‘ensuring’ that it is registered?

All said and done, a minute or two on the State/Territory‘s vehicle registration website would be more ‘ensuring’ and probably less work (quicker and more accurate) than having the customer fill out a form declaring the registration status (which still could be wrong).

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I’m not sure what the situation is in other States or Territories, but in Victoria…

View attachment 249624

The above is from Victoria Legal Aid https://www.legalaid.vic.gov.au/driving-unregistered-vehicle

Somehow, I doubt that having a signed form from the owner will make a lot of difference. I guess the key word is ‘ensure’ that it is registered. Is asking the owner ‘ensuring’ that it is registered?

All said and done, a minute or two on the State/Territory‘s vehicle registration website would be more ‘ensuring’ and probably less work (quicker and more accurate) than having the customer fill out a form declairing the registration status (which still could be wrong).

I put it down to the form being signed stating by the owner the car is registered....

If the owner declares it is registered but is wrong, to me, it is still showing the owner signed a form saying it is registered....

Why the MTAA would consult with the coppers over these forms being printed is now questionable...Maybe they did it just to trap innocient mechanics into a false sense of security over driving vehicles that may not actually be registered, despite a form being signed saying the opposite.

I will just wait for the day I get busted driving an unregistered vehicle that doesn't belong to me and report back then

At least I will be safe in the knowledge, it won't be my car getting impounded

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

View attachment 249624

All said and done, a minute or two on the State/Territory‘s vehicle registration website would be more ‘ensuring’ and probably less work (quicker and more accurate) than having the customer fill out a form declaring the registration status (which still could be wrong).
And as I said, that’s why I’d not want to rely on what an owner says or signs because you may end up in a court and trying a “mistake of facts” defence (which is your only defence if charged and very different to a mistake of law defence) may or may not work out for you :oops:

Still, the probability that an owner would make such a mistake and say their vehicle is registered is low so not a likely occurrence but I’d still always check rego status online…

On the flip side, a mechanic taking your pride and joy for a fang is proportionally higher the more sporty or unique the car :rolleyes: If it’s quite a powerful sports car, the probability of an idiot mechanic punting it into some parked cars also increases proportionally with its power :eek:

Moral is don’t let idiots drive your car :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
And as I said, that’s why I’d not want to rely on what an owner says or signs because you may end up in a court and trying a “mistake of facts” defence (which is your only defence if charged and very different to a mistake of law defence) may or may not work out for you :oops:

Still, the probability that an owner would make such a mistake and say their vehicle is registered is low so not a likely occurrence but I’d still always check rego status online…

On the flip side, a mechanic taking your pride and joy for a fang is proportionally higher the more sporty or unique the car :rolleyes: If it’s quite a powerful sports car, the probability of an idiot mechanic punting it into some parked cars also increases proportionally with its power :eek:

Moral is don’t let idiots drive your car :p

In reality, this is inferring the person or persons that intend driving a car should have to check the registration status.....

One really messy situation

It is difficult to know who is an idiot and who isn't, when it comes to allowing them behind the wheel of your car.....So really, the best solution with the lot is, only allow the owner of the car drive it, which means all work must be performed in a carpark.

And as stupid as this sounds, the way things work, this is the only place it can be done to prevent any sort of dramas...General public not allowed in a workshop...Owners being 100% sure they will be the only one that thrashes their car, so workers can't drive it into a workshop

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
In reality, this is inferring the person or persons that intend driving a car should have to check the registration status.....

One really messy situation
As @chrisp‘s post should clarify for you, there is nothing inferred. It’s a clear legal requirement a driver must ensure the vehicle he is driving is registered, period.

As the registration authorities have gone to some trouble to provide an on-line system where anyone can check registration status of any vehicle, the best way to ensure you are meeting your legal requirements is to check online. Doing such will ensure you meet your legal obligation much more than a paper signing exercise. Nothing messy about that…

It is difficult to know who is an idiot and who isn't, when it comes to allowing them behind the wheel of your car.....So really, the best solution with the lot is, only allow the owner of the car drive it, which means all work must be performed in a carpark.

And as stupid as this sounds, the way things work, this is the only place it can be done to prevent any sort of dramas...General public not allowed in a workshop...Owners being 100% sure they will be the only one that thrashes their car, so workers can't drive it into a workshop
A business should know it’s employees and which ones are the idiots within… Businesses should have processes that put requirements on their employees to behave appropriately when driving customers cars else they can find another job if caught behaving badly… But as the NZ tow truck business owner shows, sometimes it’s the business owner that is the problem and whatever process is documented, it’s meaningless :rolleyes:

Im still ok with having my vehicle serviced at a dealer workshop but they have an observation area behind glass so I watch the work… and they are also fine with me peeping.

Considering how many people get their vehicles serviced I don’t think it’s a huge problem :p

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I found the location of the smash and a quick cruise of Google maps says what it’s like in the estate. There is also a lot of automotive businesses in there. Would be a competitive area to have a business.

3EAF0FFC-B796-448A-8346-D01838A7C3DC.jpeg

The spot where it happened.
08418648-8037-47AC-976A-24135FCCAB5C.jpeg

E795838D-EF27-4E81-94F8-8DF9B8EEE7F5.jpeg

00140576-7F34-4D43-B760-06DA155F1105.jpeg
491CAF9D-9602-4BB5-B9F8-0E51F90C7C70.jpeg

Attachments

• 7032A10F-0305-41F4-927D-44687FCD670B.jpeg
    7032A10F-0305-41F4-927D-44687FCD670B.jpeg
    150.8 KB · Views: 57