Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Woops!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Looks like plenty of "testing" went on there.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
As @chrisp‘s post should clarify for you, there is nothing inferred. It’s a clear legal requirement a driver must ensure the vehicle he is driving is registered, period.

As the registration authorities have gone to some trouble to provide an on-line system where anyone can check registration status of any vehicle, the best way to ensure you are meeting your legal requirements is to check online. Doing such will ensure you meet your legal obligation much more than a paper signing exercise. Nothing messy about that…

A business should know it’s employees and which ones are the idiots within… Businesses should have processes that put requirements on their employees to behave appropriately when driving customers cars else they can find another job if caught behaving badly… But as the NZ tow truck business owner shows, sometimes it’s the business owner that is the problem and whatever process is documented, it’s meaningless :rolleyes:

Im still ok with having my vehicle serviced at a dealer workshop but they have an observation area behind glass so I watch the work… and they are also fine with me peeping.

Considering how many people get their vehicles serviced I don’t think it’s a huge problem :p

GrimHappyHarrierhawk-max-1mb.gif

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
As @chrisp‘s post should clarify for you, there is nothing inferred. It’s a clear legal requirement a driver must ensure the vehicle he is driving is registered, period.

As the registration authorities have gone to some trouble to provide an on-line system where anyone can check registration status of any vehicle, the best way to ensure you are meeting your legal requirements is to check online. Doing such will ensure you meet your legal obligation much more than a paper signing exercise. Nothing messy about that…

A business should know it’s employees and which ones are the idiots within… Businesses should have processes that put requirements on their employees to behave appropriately when driving customers cars else they can find another job if caught behaving badly… But as the NZ tow truck business owner shows, sometimes it’s the business owner that is the problem and whatever process is documented, it’s meaningless :rolleyes:

Im still ok with having my vehicle serviced at a dealer workshop but they have an observation area behind glass so I watch the work… and they are also fine with me peeping.

Considering how many people get their vehicles serviced I don’t think it’s a huge problem :p

I will continue with the system my workplace has in place for the rego side of things because it works....If it is wrong, then I'm the one out of pocket and the owner of the car is without it for a month...

I'm pretty sure businesses that have people that are idiots in it, would be shown the door when things like what happened to the VL occur....

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak

Club rego here in SA messes that up. My cars show registered online. However if the log book is not completed, they are not 'registered' and you can and will be fined as if unreg.

I dont tend to leave my cars overnight at a place of repair. But I now ensure that they know they have to trade plate / treat my car as if unreg in the event it needs an on road test after I have dropped it off.

Onus falls again to the workshop surely if they do not follow these instructions?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Club rego here in SA messes that up. My cars show registered online. However if the log book is not completed, they are not 'registered' and you can and will be fined as if unreg.

I dont tend to leave my cars overnight at a place of repair. But I now ensure that they know they have to trade plate / treat my car as if unreg in the event it needs an on road test after I have dropped it off.

Onus falls again to the workshop surely if they do not follow these instructions?

Agreed....If the workshop has been advised the car is technically unregistered, through the historic rego scheme, the onus is definately back on them to ensure a trade plate is used....And to me, the best way to be clear about that, is put it in writing....

Test drives are generally done when some mechanical work is done, or even a wheel alignment....And generally this is all done within the day....