Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worked 304 vs 355 stroker???

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
i have looked at doing cam, head and manifold work to my vt ss 5L.
I was just wondering what would produce the best power out of this set up and a 355 stroker set up.
I have been told that 355s make lots of torque, and have heaps down low.
I was wondering what sought of price i would be looking at to have a 355 fitted and all the work done in a shop, and have the stroker make about 210-220kw @ the wheels.

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
what sought of power do you reckon a stroker would make at the wheels, with a budget of about $7000.
Would this budget get me into a decent stroker set up?
I already have extractors and a cat back exhaust on my 304, and im assuming this should still fit the stroked engine, is this right??

M

matt69

mate with a stroker i reckonu should be getting atleast over 300 hp at the wheels

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
with a budget like that mate easiest way would be to get a crate 383 stroker with full race internals... You'd have change left over for strengthened Gearbox and install yourself... Lovely... You'd have 250+rwkw...

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
screw upgrading to a gen 3 then.... stroker sounds the go!

L

Little Deuce Coupe

boohyah! how many horse ponies could a bad boy expect to find under the trunk if hi-clone was installed? (a mod)

Morgasshk

Morgasshk
Reaction score
Website
www.personaltradingpost.com.au
Members Ride
VY Exec 3.8L Sedan 9C1 Pack
lol, bit harsh a call there mate. *shrug* but not my issue! :)

have decided what you going to do?

I've been wanting to get a Senator or GTS stroker, but thinking maybe be easier to just get a 5L and get it worked. Let me know what prices you come up with to get the same sort of power output.

@ Matt69 - 300hp IS about 220rwkw...? (well, 220-223)

impressive

BARRP BARRRRRP
Reaction score
Website
www.supercharger.com.au
Members Ride
VT SS 5 litre
i spoke to the guys at COME the other day, 355 stroker (provide ur own engine) $8500, and thats something that is reliable for everyday use pushing around 250kw.

a worked 304 will never have more power than a stroker, unless u go the tougher internals, supercharger and twin throttle body set up.

im considering these upgrades myself, the difference between going the charger and stroker is the stroker will be more reliable as its built to handle that power.

anyways, hope that helps a lil in ur decision.

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
I havent completely made a decision but it looks like a stroker to me.
I have thought about going down the worked 304 path and it seems to me that i could work quite well.... however a 355 stroker is basically a brand new engine. You have to be better off starting from scratch.
I spoke to a guy at g force engines in Newcastle and he reckons without a doubt a stroker is the best path. He reckons he can build me a basic package for aroung 6k that will be similar to the vt gts engine only put out about 250-270 kw. I thought that was awesome value.
He also said if i wanted to up my budget he could put in some better parts, a bigger cam etc and have me easy over the 300kw for about 10k.
It seems you could supercharge your engine for about 8k and get similar results... only to me it just means you have a hairdryer hanging off the side, a pain in the ass for insurance, and the same motor.
I reckon the stroker is the go... heaps of torque, the engine still looks the same from the outside, and it will last a very long time.
( especially with my car with 210000km on the clock)