Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

worked 304 vs 355 stroker???

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
boona15 said:
Thanks for that mate, im defenitely looking elsewhere then nrma next time insurance comes around. They have been a major pain in the ass, just cars sounds sweet.

i think that STARR racing makes changover manifolds that look no diff from stock but flow twice as much air.... but if your adventurous (like me) you can do some port and polishing cos mine flows 350 cfm more than the standard 600 and it only cost me the price of a grinding bit for my die grinder[/QUOTE]

I would do that myself but i cant do **** myself, that starr manifold sounds sweet but, looks stock!! But if i do change insurance companies, it wont matter.

impressive

BARRP BARRRRRP
Reaction score
Website
www.supercharger.com.au
Members Ride
VT SS 5 litre
that starr manifold seems rockin!
i reckon u could go far with with a worked 304.
think about it

good exhaust (twin system, hi flows, tri-y's)
then cam, head work, ecu
starr intake
and maybe diff gears 3.7's or 3.9's

that thing would boogey!

and all up thats around 6k of stuff (installed).

be pushing what, around 230-240kw at the fly?

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
impressive said:
that starr manifold seems rockin!
i reckon u could go far with with a worked 304.
think about it

good exhaust (twin system, hi flows, tri-y's)
then cam, head work, ecu
starr intake
and maybe diff gears 3.7's or 3.9's

that thing would boogey!

and all up thats around 6k of stuff (installed).

be pushing what, around 230-240kw at the fly?

Yeah i suppose, it should be easy makin 230 kw. I already have tri y extractors and a twin 2 and a half exhaust with straight thru mufflers that merges into a 3 inch single minus resinator. So i have a bit of a head start.
Do you reckon hi flo cats are worth it?? i keep getting told different answers!
Also what size cam would i go with, i dont want to loose low end power, but i would like a lumpy idle and to boost that nice mid range that your vt gives you ( you know what im on about) and hopefully make it rev harder. Another question is what sort of cai?? ( another mixed answer) I know what i need now, but there is so many products to choose from.
I reckon with the sort of set up we are talkin about with a set of 3.9s, i should have the stock gen 3s double guessin!!

impressive

BARRP BARRRRRP
Reaction score
Website
www.supercharger.com.au
Members Ride
VT SS 5 litre
ive heard a million stories with hi flow cats.
end of the day, they flow twice as much. (general figures is 200 holes vs 400).
so yes, i would do it.
i know about that rev range ur talking about, 2nd gear, 60km just cruising, boot it and it hammers like a whore to gutter change.
in regards to cam, im not too sure, either way probably gonna lose some bottom end, maybe someone else on here can give us an idea.
maybe even go for the same cam that was in the hsv enhances 195's?
cai, the standard one seems to be alright, make sure u have a good filter (i have a KN, noticed the response straight out of the driveway). u could go for one of those SS induction ones, but ive heard a lot of negative **** about them.
if u really wanna cool the intake, maybe even look at water injection.
as long as u have a RAHHHHEEAALLLLYYYY fine spray nozzle, u should be right.

vtss5spd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx ss/ k8 gsxr 1000
impressive said:
ive heard a million stories with hi flow cats.
end of the day, they flow twice as much. (general figures is 200 holes vs 400).
so yes, i would do it.
i know about that rev range ur talking about, 2nd gear, 60km just cruising, boot it and it hammers like a whore to gutter change.
in regards to cam, im not too sure, either way probably gonna lose some bottom end, maybe someone else on here can give us an idea.
maybe even go for the same cam that was in the hsv enhances 195's?
cai, the standard one seems to be alright, make sure u have a good filter (i have a KN, noticed the response straight out of the driveway). u could go for one of those SS induction ones, but ive heard a lot of negative **** about them.
if u really wanna cool the intake, maybe even look at water injection.
as long as u have a RAHHHHEEAALLLLYYYY fine spray nozzle, u should be right.

Yeah i have a K & N panel filter, and i did notice it quite a bit (just breathed easier) and accelerated a bit better. About the cai, i was talking to a guy at an exhaust shop and he told me the ss inductions are the way to go that the pick up in general like 10kw at the wheels, so i thought ****, 10kw $500 bucks not a bad deal.
Went to another performance shop and the guy laughed at me and told me they are useless and suck. (This guy seemed to know what he was on about more than the other) Maybe just keep the original set up with K&N untill i get some certain gaurentees about a good product.
I have never heard of water injection on the intake on a na car, sounds like it would work but.
I probably just have to except the loss of a bit of bottom end power, they have nice torque anyway, and with a good cai, inlet manifold, throttle body etc, it probably wouldnt be too much loss down low. (but made up 4 in mid and high range!!)
I will start looking around at prices for the set up and see what i come up with, and then let you know. Sounds like you are considering similar mods to your vt ss?? Also if you find out about any good cai, let us know!
Cheers mate.

impressive

BARRP BARRRRRP
Reaction score
Website
www.supercharger.com.au
Members Ride
VT SS 5 litre
i am considering these mods for mine.
i looked at the whole stroker/supercharger thing, but i like having it streetable. if i wanted mega power if buy myself a shell and just build a monster!
or do it old school, big block, carbies, 34 deuce :D.

let me know how u go man

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Anyone tried acid porting the 5 liter manifold? should work well if you just want to enlarge it a bit and smooth it out

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
hey,

with a stroker 355, if the engine smooths out around 3500 what kw should i expect? im hoping for around 300kw, the car is out of town so i cant get it dyno'd just yet.. any ideas?

when my mate crashed the fronts almost came off the ground so im guessing this is a good sign.. its got 12 sloter rims that are about 10" wide.