Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wraiths 2004 VZ Berlina V8

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Stock one is the same thickness believe it or not. Funny part when the seller claims it's "Heavy Duty"

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Got a message back from the seller. He seems alright and has apologised for the packaging issue. Quoting him here.

With the oil cooler, that's just a brass unit which are very reliable. Those bar and plate oil coolers which Calsonic (who made the oe Holden ones) built are unreliable and have been known to crack and leak. The brass ones in my radiators never fail, and are hollow to not restrict coolant flow like some other types do. They have mesh inside them, it's not a blockage, it's only to restrict flow of the oil it cools down properly

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well radiator is in. What a freaking mission. Broke one of the condenser clip mounts but it screwed together OK luckily. Stopping for lunch before we collapse (stupid humidity) I believe the core is about 4mm smaller then the factory one. Still should be good for now. Filling it up after lunch and going from there. Still got the service to do yet.

Gaiter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Thunder
Yea she hot here today too. Mad bugger doing work in this weather!

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
With babies you really have to get work done when you have the opportunity. Plus it's for sale so can't really be like oh yeah rads buggered it's in the box over there.

Edit: Done. Serviced with some decent Penrite oil. Seems to have less tick now which is good. Old oil was very black so not sure if services were on time or not (10 000 km)

Radiator bled to. Will check out coolant tomorrow and top up if needed.

Last edited:

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well not a lot has been happening with this. Has been for sale for a few months but it is a bad time of the year so not really surprised although at $7 500 with 5 months rego and road worthy I am a little confused why it's still here.

Has been a good car but I want a shed now and I'm due for heart surgery some time soon so this will just be an ornament.

I moved the air temp sensor from it's location in the MAF to the top of the airbox. Stupid mistake. You could feel it cutting back power with heat soak. Have put it back in the MAF and happy days. Expensive experiment.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well VZ is now pretty much the main family rig wagon gets used only when we need all the seats. Wired up a dash cam the other day and it's working awesome. As much as I hate to admit it I think I have fallen in love with this. Got a bit of maintenance to do come tax time but I'm also thinking about changing the diff gears to make it a bit snappier. No idea what to go though and there's so much info it's overwhelming. Rather have a car I can jump in and drive and not have to pray I make it to Brisbane on 1 tank (At the moment it's about a quarter tank which is pretty good imo)

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well not sure if any one is reading this but have done quite a lot of maintenance on this with more to come. Front hubs were absolutely shocking so they got done. Fixed up the stereo whine so that was good. Have bought a new power steering reservoir. Found the bit of pipe out the front they call the power steering cooler was corroded so going to use the trans cooler we bought for the clubby. It's too big but it's what I have so whatever. Also bought a giant trans cooler for it as well.

Will get some pictures over the coming days after she's had a wash but not a lot has changed but I finally have a good camera to use. Never did get around to taking out the woodgrain either.

Oh and I put in some fully sick HID lights because I was sick of the candles Holden call the stock globes. Haven't been flashed once yet and it works well so why not.

ZDbCyFh.jpg